    automatically. What exactly is happening ?

    I have tried both PAN and www.groups.google.com interface but still
    same problem :(

    arnuld, Sep 4, 2007

  2. arnuld

    red floyd Guest

    Re: Why "Welcome Message" I post come get posted as the reply tosame post ?

    arnuld wrote:
    > I don't understand, every week I post "Welcome Message" as a new post
    > and it gets posted as reply to my older "Welcome Message",
    > automatically. What exactly is happening ?
    >
    > I have tried both PAN and www.groups.google.com interface but still
    > same problem :(

    It's an artifact of your newsreader. It sees the same name and assumes
    they're related. Don't sweat it. We *do* appreciate you taking the
    time and initiative to post the weekly welcome message!

    red floyd, Sep 4, 2007

  3. arnuld

    Shadowman Guest

    arnuld wrote:
    > I don't understand, every week I post "Welcome Message" as a new post
    > and it gets posted as reply to my older "Welcome Message",
    > automatically. What exactly is happening ?
    >
    > I have tried both PAN and www.groups.google.com interface but still
    > same problem :(

    It's actually the news client (google or otherwise) that handles
    threading. Many of them do this by subject line.

    You could always slightly change the subject header with each post if it
    bothers you. But it's not really much of an issue -- the message gets
    delivered either way.

    --
    SM
    rot13 for email

    Shadowman, Sep 4, 2007
  4. arnuld

    Jim Langston Guest

    "arnuld" <> wrote in message
    >I don't understand, every week I post "Welcome Message" as a new post
    > and it gets posted as reply to my older "Welcome Message",
    > automatically. What exactly is happening ?
    >
    > I have tried both PAN and www.groups.google.com interface but still
    > same problem :(

    Because it has the same subject line it believes the post is related. You
    would have to change the subject line even slightly to get a new thread.
    One idea, if it's easy for you, is to put the date on the subject line.
    Something like:

    ===Welcome to comp.lang.c++! Read this first. - Sept 4th, 2007
    would give it it's own thread, but the welcome messages have been in the
    same thread for like, ever, so you shouldn't sweat it unless you really want
    to.

    Jim Langston, Sep 5, 2007
  5. arnuld

    arnuld Guest

    > On Sep 4, 9:07 pm, red floyd <> wrote:

    > It's an artifact of your newsreader. It sees the same name and assumes
    > they're related. Don't sweat it. We *do* appreciate you taking the
    > time and initiative to post the weekly welcome message!

    thanks... feel happy to read those words :)

    arnuld, Sep 5, 2007
  6. arnuld

    BobR Guest

    Jim Langston wrote in message...
    > "arnuld" <> wrote in message...
    > >I don't understand, every week I post "Welcome Message" as a new post
    > > and it gets posted as reply to my older "Welcome Message",
    > > automatically. What exactly is happening ?
    > >

    > Because it has the same subject line it believes the post is related. You
    > would have to change the subject line even slightly to get a new thread.
    > One idea, if it's easy for you, is to put the date on the subject line.
    > Something like:
    >
    > ===Welcome to comp.lang.c++! Read this first. - Sept 4th, 2007
    > would give it it's own thread, but the welcome messages have been in the
    > same thread for like, ever, so you shouldn't sweat it unless you really

    want
    > to.

    I'm torn between the current method and wanting 'newbies' to easily find the
    post.
    I think your idea is a solution. I was thinking maybe just use the year,
    but, that would only start a new thread every January. So, maybe
    'month/year' would be a good compromise.
    ===Welcome to comp.lang.c++! Read this first. - Sept, 2007

    What do y'all think (assuming arnuld would want to mess with it)?

    Thanks for your efforts, arnuld. Good job.
    --
    Bob R
    POVrookie

    BobR, Sep 5, 2007
  7. arnuld

    arnuld Guest

    > On Sep 5, 9:30 pm, "BobR" <> wrote:

    > I'm torn between the current method and wanting 'newbies' to easily find the
    > post.
    > I think your idea is a solution. I was thinking maybe just use the year,
    > but, that would only start a new thread every January. So, maybe
    > 'month/year' would be a good compromise.
    > ===Welcome to comp.lang.c++! Read this first. - Sept, 2007
    >
    > What do y'all think (assuming arnuld would want to mess with it)?

    yes, i want to mess (because it is not a big-sweat-stuff)

    > Thanks for your efforts, arnuld. Good job.

    A Hacky-Boy just returning something back to the community, though a
    little return :)

    arnuld, Sep 5, 2007