Why won't my session stick? Please help me.

Orgil

I'm using ASP 3.0 however there is ASP.NET, because I'm working an old
site that is built in ASP 3.0.
I hope you for getting any help for my problem from you.

So, my site's sessions are empty before its timeout.
I have searched and checked for long time around this problem, but I
can't fix the problem yet.

The session timeout is 20 minutes in IIS 5.1 by default.
I didn't set the timeout as "session.timeout=10" in codes of VBScript
pages.

I did a training with session behaviors along following:
I created a new myTEST site for test and created one page for it and
created Global.asa file. The Session_onStart event in Global.asa has
"Session('mySession')='is session'" code. The page writes that
session. Session.timeout property of the site (myTEST) is 10 in IIS. I
opened the page and when I did refresh the page after 10 or 11
minutes, the session was empty. I tried it in 5 or 8 or 2 minutes, the
session was valid.
So I assume that the training is true for session.timeout.

My original web site of work has many pages that upload files. May
uploading relates the problem I think. But I am not sure.

Please help me!!! What is going on?
Any suggestion will be highly appreciated!

Mark Rae

I'm working an old site that is built in ASP 3.0.

This newsgroup is for ASP.NET - please post your ASP Classic questions to:

microsoft.public.inetserver.asp.general

Mike

though this is the asp.net forum, let me see if I can help you out.
If I can remember correctly once your session times out you will loose your
session state variables.
When your session times out its like starting the session over again for the
user. so if you set your timeout to be 20 min or 2 mins once it times out
your varailbles are gone.

I have a practice in both from back in my ASP days, and I carried it over to
the .NET world, if I need to pass/store anymore then 4 varaibles in session
I would store them into a session state database, and track the variables by
a GUID generated by the user when they logged into the web app. this way
they would only loose the values if they closed down the browser.