Why your next language better be C++

BGB

To be fair, if the GCC people started mistreating g++, I'm not sure I
would stick around. (Not that they are likely to.)

but, GNU doesn't own C++, and even if G++ went away, there are still
other compilers (both free and commercial).

granted, if not for GCC, maybe most compilers now would have still cost
money?...

JBarleycorn

James said:
There are certainly things that one might have written in C++
some years ago, and that one would perhaps write in Java or C#
today. But C# isn't really applicable for most of what C++
does.

Oh? So what does "C++ do"? (rhetorical, for you answered that question
below... stay tuned...).
It has nothing to do with low level capabilities, and everything
to do with the ability to manage large projects, over multiple
platforms.

There was never a battle, because C# never tried to be what C++
is: a portable language for large scale applications.

At least you marketeers are getting off of that "general purpose
language" thing now and trying to sell it as still good for some niche.
Basically, you just said: don't use it unless you have a "large project,
over multiple platforms"... way to go Mr. C++ Salesman... I sure hope you
don't work on a commission basis! I wonder how many of these so called
"large projects, over multiple platforms" wouldn't have cost a boatload
less if they just would have made sure that the deployment spaces were
all Microsoft platforms, where they could have been on MS platforms, that
is..

Noah Roberts

James Kanze wrote:

At least you marketeers are getting off of that "general purpose
language" thing now and trying to sell it as still good for some niche.

Just FYI, I consider C++ one of the best general purpose languages in
existence. It's other languages that fill niches. I just haven't said
anything because it's silly to argue with idiots.

If you like C#...go use it.

JBarleycorn

James said:
C++ is better, for what it was
designed to do (and that's a lot of things) than any of the
alternatives; most of the other languages one sees today are
designed for much smaller niches

You mean smaller niches than the "large projects, over multiple
platforms" niche?

Rui Maciel

BGB said:
but, GNU doesn't own C++, and even if G++ went away, there are still
other compilers (both free and commercial).

Adding to this, the fact that GCC is released under the GPL means that if
GNU happens to screw with GCC then it is always possible to fork it from
where it matters and re-streer the project in a better direction. It
happened before (EGCS) and, if needed, I bet it can and will happen again.

granted, if not for GCC, maybe most compilers now would have still cost
money?...

Indeed. That's one of the biggest virtues of FLOSS projects: even if you
don't use them they still represent an economic pressure on those who
provide proprietary tools that are intended to play the same role, both in
terms of price and in features offered. And for the consumer that's always
a good thing.

Rui Maciel

Rui Maciel

JBarleycorn said:
Oh? So what does "C++ do"? (rhetorical, for you answered that question
below... stay tuned...).

Well, as both languages are Turing complete then theoretically they both are
able to do anyting. Nevertheless, C++ doesn't put a patent sword hanging
over your head, nor it presents the same dangers regarding software rot.

At least you marketeers are getting off of that "general purpose
language" thing now and trying to sell it as still good for some niche.
Basically, you just said: don't use it unless you have a "large project,
over multiple platforms"...

Your generalization and attempt at a strawman is absurd.

way to go Mr. C++ Salesman... I sure hope you
don't work on a commission basis! I wonder how many of these so called
"large projects, over multiple platforms" wouldn't have cost a boatload
less if they just would have made sure that the deployment spaces were
all Microsoft platforms, where they could have been on MS platforms, that
is..

Your trolling skills are weak.

Rui Maciel

BGB

Adding to this, the fact that GCC is released under the GPL means that if
GNU happens to screw with GCC then it is always possible to fork it from
where it matters and re-streer the project in a better direction. It
happened before (EGCS) and, if needed, I bet it can and will happen again.

yep, it can happen, even despite sometimes the level of pain required to
coerce gcc to rebuild from source (albeit, then again, I have usually
done so on Windows-based targets, such as Cygwin, and it may well be
much easier to get it to rebuild on Linux).

Indeed. That's one of the biggest virtues of FLOSS projects: even if you
don't use them they still represent an economic pressure on those who
provide proprietary tools that are intended to play the same role, both in
terms of price and in features offered. And for the consumer that's always
a good thing.

yep.

I remember back in the early 90s, when most compilers cost money.
eventually, I found DJGPP, and messed with this for a while (before
going and spending the next several years mostly in Linux-land).

in the early 2000s, I eventually returned to Windows land, being
probably in the minority who used Win2k on a home system, rather than Win98.

by this point, IIRC, there was Cygwin and similar, so I carried on
mostly as before.

meanwhile Linux has gotten better (drivers are much better and tend to
now actually work), and the GUI has improved much since those days.

or such...

James Kanze

James Kanze wrote:
[...]
At least you marketeers are getting off of that "general purpose
language" thing now and trying to sell it as still good for some niche.

Hardly a "niche", since it covers a large percentage of
software, in a large number of domains. But no one, not even
Stroustrup, has claimed that you shouldn't use other languages,
or that there aren't cases where they are more appropriate.
Basically, you just said: don't use it unless you have a "large project,
over multiple platforms"... way to go Mr. C++ Salesman... I sure hope you
don't work on a commission basis! I wonder how many of these so called
"large projects, over multiple platforms" wouldn't have cost a boatload
less if they just would have made sure that the deployment spaces were
all Microsoft platforms, where they could have been on MS platforms, that
is..

Microsoft platforms are still way to expensive to maintain, and
don't offer the necessary performance. Anytime you see a place
which is 100% Microsoft, you know that the IT director is
incompetent. Multiple platforms are a fact of life: one size
doesn't fit all, and different applications have different
needs.

Bo Persson

JBarleycorn said:
At least you marketeers are getting off of that "general purpose
language" thing now and trying to sell it as still good for some
niche. Basically, you just said: don't use it unless you have a
"large project, over multiple platforms"... way to go Mr. C++
Salesman... I sure hope you don't work on a commission basis! I
wonder how many of these so called "large projects, over multiple
platforms" wouldn't have cost a boatload less if they just would
have made sure that the deployment spaces were all Microsoft
platforms, where they could have been on MS platforms, that is..

Considering that James work as a consultant, I think you must have
missed something. :)

If you write server side software that is supposed to run on things
other than a Windows Server, what is the advantage of C#? Not
everything is a desktop application.

Bo Persson

BGB

Considering that James work as a consultant, I think you must have
missed something. :)

If you write server side software that is supposed to run on things
other than a Windows Server, what is the advantage of C#? Not
everything is a desktop application.

yes, or if one develops for the desktop, but is mostly developing libraries.

C, and C++ with 'extern "C"', have an advantage of being more readily
accessible from damn near anything, whereas most other HLLs are
accessible from damn near nothing (besides themselves).

JBarleycorn

Rui said:
Adding to this, the fact that GCC is released under the GPL means
that if GNU happens to screw with GCC then it is always possible to
fork it from where it matters and re-streer the project in a better
direction. It happened before (EGCS) and, if needed, I bet it can
and will happen again.

Indeed. That's one of the biggest virtues of FLOSS projects: even if
you don't use them they still represent an economic pressure on those
who provide proprietary tools that are intended to play the same
role, both in terms of price and in features offered. And for the
consumer that's always a good thing.
Get the **** out of ... you are a rapist, I hate you. I am not you.

JBarleycorn

Bo said:
Considering that James work as a consultant, I think you must have
missed something. :)

If you write server side software that is supposed to run on things
other than a Windows Server, what is the advantage of C#? Not
everything is a desktop application.
And maybe you should shut the **** up and get out of ny face.

JBarleycorn

Bo said:
Considering that James work as a consultant, I think you must have
missed something. :)

If you write server side software that is supposed to run on things
other than a Windows Server, what is the advantage of C#? Not
everything is a desktop application.
I was kidding. I just didn't want anyone to feel "special". I am leaving
and and what a better way than to go out with a bang? I'm starting to
notice you guys' names, so I've probably been here too long. I'm not bad,
I'm really not. I just play "bad" on the internet..

A boy named Sue

Werner

I'm not bad,
I'm really not. I just play "bad" on the internet..

Ahah, then you really are bad then... Now you
know it. If you are bad when you have no
accountability, then you are bad to the core.

;-)

JBarleycorn

Werner said:
Ahah, then you really are bad then... Now you
know it. If you are bad when you have no
accountability, then you are bad to the core.

;-)

You don't know how hard it gtets.

what. I am thinking that I can't type anything in a subthread. But I have
been crying, an I am not done, else how could I write?
I cant tell you all ... I don't hate you, even when I say I do. I don't
have any money but I went to the store anyway... and have my wine now....
I wass here a few days ago, and fucking you up, but you know I wasn't.
As much as I love her, her love will wait, while I go out and suck. (it's
not true... I mis her).

I did come back to tell someone to **** off, huh... I came back to
explaiin that I did not mean to hurt someone. \

I am not "copping out"..... I really need this wine, because I have not
lived a day without her. I was going to pick up the phone... isn't that a
scary thing. I am afraid of the phone. I used it once badly. I like it
her because I don't have think about it afterwards.

I would never say this if I....

I dunno. I am afraid. Of course I'm not afraid of you. Someone said I
sabotage myself. I think I like it here because I can't call her on the
phone, ut I assure you, I could have done that after the fact.

I hope you will keep my secret. And kinda hope you wont.