    i want something like that in my web site..

    how to start? please..

    thank you so much for your helps

    jne, Nov 16, 2004

  2. jne

    kaeli Guest

    In article <>,
    enlightened us with...
    > is it possible to program a menu like the windows one? (i mean the start menu..)
    > i want something like that in my web site..

    Probably not cross-browser.
    Be more specific about what it is you like about the start menu. Non-windows
    users aren't going to have any idea what you're talking about and windows
    users can customize the hell out of their machines these days until they
    don't resemble the original GUI in the slightest.
    Some of the best coders are Mac or Unix users.

    ~kaeli~
    "When dogma enters the brain, all intellectual activity ceases"
    -- Robert Anton Wilson
    http://www.ipwebdesign.net/wildAtHeart
    http://www.ipwebdesign.net/kaelisSpace

    kaeli, Nov 16, 2004

  3. jne

    Grant Wagner Guest

    jne wrote:

    > is it possible to program a menu like the windows one? (i mean the start menu..)
    > i want something like that in my web site..

    Yes, it's possible, using client-side JavaScript (if available in the user agent
    (browser)) and manipulating <div> or other container HTML elements. Doing a Windows
    Start Menu-like type menu would pretty much be the same type of code as doing a
    regular dynamic "pull-down" menu, like you might find at www.borland.com, or
    www.cnn.com, etc..

    > how to start? please..

    Learn to write properly validated HTML. Learn JavaScript. Write your own script to
    manipulate <div> HTML elements, or download a script that does almost what you want
    and modify it to meet your precise needs. Be aware of issues with user agents
    (browsers) which have no client-side JavaScript available, have it available but
    it's disabled, have it available but it doesn't support the particular DOM
    manipulation mechanism you're trying to use, etc. Ensure the script you write
    degrades gracefully across all the user agents (browsers) you want to support.

    --
    Grant Wagner <>

    Grant Wagner, Nov 16, 2004
  4. In article <>, jne_77