win start menu like

jne

is it possible to program a menu like the windows one? (i mean the start menu..)
i want something like that in my web site..

how to start? please..

thank you so much for your helps

kaeli

is it possible to program a menu like the windows one? (i mean the start menu..)
i want something like that in my web site..

Probably not cross-browser.
Be more specific about what it is you like about the start menu. Non-windows
users aren't going to have any idea what you're talking about and windows
users can customize the hell out of their machines these days until they
don't resemble the original GUI in the slightest.
Some of the best coders are Mac or Unix users.

~kaeli~
"When dogma enters the brain, all intellectual activity ceases"
-- Robert Anton Wilson
http://www.ipwebdesign.net/wildAtHeart
http://www.ipwebdesign.net/kaelisSpace

Grant Wagner

jne said:
is it possible to program a menu like the windows one? (i mean the start menu..)
i want something like that in my web site..

Yes, it's possible, using client-side JavaScript (if available in the user agent
(browser)) and manipulating <div> or other container HTML elements. Doing a Windows
Start Menu-like type menu would pretty much be the same type of code as doing a
regular dynamic "pull-down" menu, like you might find at www.borland.com, or
www.cnn.com, etc..
how to start? please..

Learn to write properly validated HTML. Learn JavaScript. Write your own script to
manipulate <div> HTML elements, or download a script that does almost what you want
and modify it to meet your precise needs. Be aware of issues with user agents
(browsers) which have no client-side JavaScript available, have it available but
it's disabled, have it available but it doesn't support the particular DOM
manipulation mechanism you're trying to use, etc. Ensure the script you write
degrades gracefully across all the user agents (browsers) you want to support.