Win32 OLE event sink & Quit

Philippe Lang

Hi,

I'm trying to setup a win32 ole callback that would notify me that the
application that was launched has quit, in order to release the process
from memory.

The code I'm playing with looks like:

@@access =3D WIN32OLE.new('Access.Application')
@@access.OpenCurrentDatabase(@database)

begin

@@event_sink =3D WIN32OLE_EVENT.new(@@access, <???>)
stop_listening =3D false
@@event_sink.on_event("Quit") do |*args|=20
puts "Access application has quit!"
stop_listening =3D true
end

WIN32OLE_EVENT.message_loop until stop_listening

rescue Exception =3D> e
puts e.message
end

I cannot find any event interface that would notify me that the MS
Access application has quit. I checked with "Simple OLE Browser", but no
luck. And most examples regarding WIN32OLE_EVENT are done with Internet
Explorer.

Does anyone have an idea?

Thanks,

Philippe Lang

Gordon Thiesfeld

@@access = WIN32OLE.new('Access.Application')
@@access.OpenCurrentDatabase(@database)

begin

@@event_sink = WIN32OLE_EVENT.new(@@access, <???>)
stop_listening = false
@@event_sink.on_event("Quit") do |*args|
puts "Access application has quit!"
stop_listening = true
end

WIN32OLE_EVENT.message_loop until stop_listening

rescue Exception => e
puts e.message
end

I cannot find any event interface that would notify me that the MS
Access application has quit. I checked with "Simple OLE Browser", but no
luck. And most examples regarding WIN32OLE_EVENT are done with Internet
Explorer.

Does anyone have an idea?

Thanks,

Philippe Lang

WMI Events? Here's a VBScript example that will notify when a process
terminates.

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/scriptcenter/scripts/default.mspx?mfr=true

On a side note, this is my third WMI related post in two days. I hope
I'm not annoying anyone ;-)

hth,

Gordon

Philippe Lang

Gordon said:
On Mon, Apr 21, 2008 at 12:28 PM, Philippe Lang

=20
WMI Events? Here's a VBScript example that will notify when a
process terminates.=20
=20
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/scriptcenter/scripts/default.mspx?mfr=3D=
rue

Hi,

In fact, I'd like to get notified when the MS Access database quits
because as long as there is a WIN32OLE object pointing at it, the
process does not terminate. So I'm afraid this WMI script (the link does
not work by the way) won't help here!

Philippe