Window C++ Compiler

cplusplusquestion

I'm using Linux C++ compiler. Is there anyone recommend me which free
Window C++ compiler is good? Thanks!

Vladyslav Lazarenko

I'm using Linux C++ compiler.  Is there anyone recommend me which free
Window C++ compiler is good? Thanks!

Use g++. It is not a Linux compiler but cross-platform.

red floyd

I'm using Linux C++ compiler. Is there anyone recommend me which free
Window C++ compiler is good? Thanks!

G++ has a Windows port as well. Google for MinGW. If you'd prefer a
full Linux style environment, google for Cygwin.

Noah Roberts

red said:
G++ has a Windows port as well. Google for MinGW. If you'd prefer a
full Linux style environment, google for Cygwin.

You don't need Cygwin to get the Linux unix shell and tools. The people
who make MinGW also make Msys. You only need Cygwin if you need unix
compatibility.

The g++ for MinGW is a touch dated.

Quite frankly, and quite unfortunately in my opinion, the best compiler
for windows is the one made by microshaft. Get the Express edition of
VS and download the win32 components if you want to do GUI programming.

Bo Persson

Noah said:
You don't need Cygwin to get the Linux unix shell and tools. The
people who make MinGW also make Msys. You only need Cygwin if you
need unix compatibility.

The g++ for MinGW is a touch dated.

Quite frankly, and quite unfortunately in my opinion, the best
compiler for windows is the one made by microshaft. Get the
Express edition of VS and download the win32 components if you want
to do GUI programming.

Yes, the question is if you want to do *nix programming on Windows, or
if you really want to so some Windows programming?

Bo Persson

Vaclav Haisman

Justin Goldberg wrote, On 29.4.2009 16:10:
I'm currently learning C++ using OpenWatcom. The compile speed and
memory usage is phenomenal.
I hope you are not serious. That compiler looks like it is even worse than
MSVC6 and MSVC6 is not a C++ compiler.

James Kanze

Which you can also use with VC++.
You don't need Cygwin to get the Linux unix shell and tools.
The people who make MinGW also make Msys. You only need
Cygwin if you need unix compatibility.

Unix compatibility in what way. My experience with this is that
Cygwin and MSys don't integrate very well with Windows; it's
like having two different systems, in different windows, and
it's very awkward to use anything but the Cygwin/MSys tools from
one of their shells. MSys is the worst here, since it doesn't
allow passing command line arguments beginning with / to the
program you're invoking (and not all Windows programs are as
open as VC++, and accept - to indicate an option, rather than
/); output from the MSys tools also uses the Unix line
separator, which can cause problems with some Windows tools.
(And of course, if you don't need any of the native Windows
tools, you can just install Linux, and get even better
integration of the Unix toolkit).

Many years ago (when it was MS-DOS, and not Windows), I used the
MKS toolkit---I found it very, very good, but they seem to have
priced themselves out of the market, at least for individuals.
Of the free toolkits I've tried, UWin was the best, although I
was unable to get it to deinstall cleanly.
The g++ for MinGW is a touch dated.
Quite frankly, and quite unfortunately in my opinion, the best
compiler for windows is the one made by microshaft. Get the
Express edition of VS and download the win32 components if you
want to do GUI programming.

Agreed. In most cases, being the native compiler has enough
advantages that you really have to screw it up (e.g. Sun CC 5.0)
for it not to be the best choice. The one argument for g++ here
is if you develop your code for g++ under one system, you can
compile it with the same compiler under a number of different
systems, thus eliminating one source of portability problems.

Lionel B

Which you can also use with VC++.

Unix compatibility in what way. My experience with this is that Cygwin
and MSys don't integrate very well with Windows; it's like having two
different systems, in different windows, and it's very awkward to use
anything but the Cygwin/MSys tools from one of their shells.

Agreed. But is it fair to expect Cygwin to be "compatible" in the sense
of integrating seamlessly with Windows? Ultimately Windows != Unix and
perhaps the best we should expect of Cygwin is as a (partially) self-
contained Linux-alike environment running under the Windows OS with an
interface - albeit somewhat clunky - to Windows resources. Perhaps it
could be done better...

[In a former job I did once find Cygwin something of a life-saver. Coming
from a Unix background I became increasingly aware and frustrated at how
much easier it would be to get the work done productively in a Unix
environment. I managed to get away with installing Cygwin under the (very
MS-entrenched) sysadmin's radar and, on the whole, it delivered - albeit
not quite seamlessly.]
MSys is
the worst here, since it doesn't allow passing command line arguments
beginning with / to the program you're invoking (and not all Windows
programs are as open as VC++, and accept - to indicate an option, rather
than /); output from the MSys tools also uses the Unix line separator,
which can cause problems with some Windows tools. (And of course, if you
don't need any of the native Windows tools, you can just install Linux,
and get even better integration of the Unix toolkit).

Sure - but I don't believe MSYS purports to be much more than a minimal
implementation of a minimal environment enabling a minimal GNU/GCC
development toolchain. I agree that it is, even in this respect, flawed.

[...]

pasa

I'm using Linux C++ compiler. Is there anyone recommend me which free
Window C++ compiler is good? Thanks!

At Microsoft you can download 3-month free trial of current visual
studio
professional.
Or comletely free visual strudio express.