window.focus() brings source code into focus

Spizzat2

I'm trying to figure out a workaround to a minor annoyance that I'm
coming up with while coding a site. I've got some keyboard shortcuts
set up for the site via javascript, and when I press escape, it's set
to hide several divs on the page, and remove focus from a link.
Unfortunately, I don't know which link will have focus, so I can't
just blur a particular element (that I'm aware of) since I won't know
which element it is. I got it working by using window.blur() followed
by window.focus(). The problem is that if I have a source code window
open, the window.focus() function brings the source code on top of
everything else and it takes focus. I don't see this being a huge
issue for users, but it's a real pain while I'm developing the site.
Does anyone know why it does this, and, more importantly, a workaround
for it?
Thanks in advance.

Spizzat2

Spizzat2 said the following on 1/8/2008 9:02 AM:

When you blur the window, in Windows, it will go to the next application
in the active list. Alt-Tab and you will find your source window the
next "in line". It isn't explicitly picking the source code window to go
to, it just happens to be the next in line.

Try focusing an element in the page and then blur that element instead
of the window.

--
Randy
Chance Favors The Prepared Mind

It still brings up the source code window regardless of source code's
position in the Alt-Tab list, but thanks for the potential solution.
I'll give it a shot and see how it works for my situation.

Spizzat2

It still brings up the source code window regardless of source code's
position in the Alt-Tab list, but thanks for the potential solution.
I'll give it a shot and see how it works for my situation.

Well, I got a solution that works using your method, so thank you for
that. I'm still confused about the cause of the problem, though. I
wonder if the source code page is considered a child window of the
parent, so when it brings it into focus, it just grabs the child-most
window (if that makes any sense).
Oh well, it works. I'm happy.