    Does anyone know why it does this, and, more importantly, a workaround
    for it?
    Thanks in advance.
    Spizzat2, Jan 8, 2008

  2. Spizzat2

    Spizzat2 Guest

    On Jan 8, 1:20 pm, Randy Webb <> wrote:
    > Spizzat2 said the following on 1/8/2008 9:02 AM:
    >
    > > I'm trying to figure out a workaround to a minor annoyance that I'm
    > > coming up with while coding a site. I've got some keyboard shortcuts
    > > set up for the site via javascript, and when I press escape, it's set
    > > to hide several divs on the page, and remove focus from a link.
    > > Unfortunately, I don't know which link will have focus, so I can't
    > > just blur a particular element (that I'm aware of) since I won't know
    > > which element it is. I got it working by using window.blur() followed
    > > by window.focus(). The problem is that if I have a source code window
    > > open, the window.focus() function brings the source code on top of
    > > everything else and it takes focus. I don't see this being a huge
    > > issue for users, but it's a real pain while I'm developing the site.
    > > Does anyone know why it does this, and, more importantly, a workaround
    > > for it?
    > > Thanks in advance.

    > When you blur the window, in Windows, it will go to the next application
    > in the active list. Alt-Tab and you will find your source window the
    > next "in line". It isn't explicitly picking the source code window to go
    > to, it just happens to be the next in line.
    >
    > Try focusing an element in the page and then blur that element instead
    > of the window.
    >
    > --
    > Randy
    > Chance Favors The Prepared Mind

    It still brings up the source code window regardless of source code's
    position in the Alt-Tab list, but thanks for the potential solution.
    I'll give it a shot and see how it works for my situation.
    Spizzat2, Jan 9, 2008

  3. Spizzat2

    Spizzat2 Guest

    On Jan 9, 9:27 am, Spizzat2 <> wrote:
    > On Jan 8, 1:20 pm, Randy Webb <> wrote:
    >

    > > Spizzat2 said the following on 1/8/2008 9:02 AM:

    > > > I'm trying to figure out a workaround to a minor annoyance that I'm
    > > > coming up with while coding a site. I've got some keyboard shortcuts
    > > > set up for the site via javascript, and when I press escape, it's set
    > > > to hide several divs on the page, and remove focus from a link.
    > > > Unfortunately, I don't know which link will have focus, so I can't
    > > > just blur a particular element (that I'm aware of) since I won't know
    > > > which element it is. I got it working by using window.blur() followed
    > > > by window.focus(). The problem is that if I have a source code window
    > > > open, the window.focus() function brings the source code on top of
    > > > everything else and it takes focus. I don't see this being a huge
    > > > issue for users, but it's a real pain while I'm developing the site.
    > > > Does anyone know why it does this, and, more importantly, a workaround
    > > > for it?
    > > > Thanks in advance.

    > > When you blur the window, in Windows, it will go to the next application
    > > in the active list. Alt-Tab and you will find your source window the
    > > next "in line". It isn't explicitly picking the source code window to go
    > > to, it just happens to be the next in line.

    > > Try focusing an element in the page and then blur that element instead
    > > of the window.

    > > --
    > > Randy
    > > Chance Favors The Prepared Mind
    > > comp.lang.javascript FAQ -http://jibbering.com/faq/index.html
    > > Javascript Best Practices -http://www.JavascriptToolbox.com/bestpractices/

    > It still brings up the source code window regardless of source code's
    > position in the Alt-Tab list, but thanks for the potential solution.
    > I'll give it a shot and see how it works for my situation.

    Well, I got a solution that works using your method, so thank you for
    that. I'm still confused about the cause of the problem, though. I
    wonder if the source code page is considered a child window of the
    parent, so when it brings it into focus, it just grabs the child-most
    window (if that makes any sense).
    Oh well, it works. I'm happy.
    Spizzat2, Jan 9, 2008