Windows XP Active Content Error Tutoring Needed

Discussion in 'HTML' started by John, Aug 26, 2006.

  1. John

    John Guest

    Hello all.
    Why does this html:

    <head>
    </head>
    <script> </script>

    create the "To help protect your security, Internet Explorer has restricted
    this file from showing Active Content that could access your computer."
    message on my computer (Windows XP), but this webpage , for example,
    http://www.dhtmlgoodies.com/scripts/dhtmlgoodies-slide-out-menu/dhtmlgoodies-slide-out-menu.html
    does not even though it has <script> tags all over it?

    ??

    Appreciate the help.

    VR/

    John

    John, Aug 26, 2006

  2. John

    rwap Guest

    Hi John,

    Internet Explorer is set to block scripts running on a webpage that is
    based on your own computer (hence it spots the <script> tags and gives
    the warning). However, once you upload it to a server, the script is
    allowed to run (as it is running on your server, not your local
    computer).

    Rich Mellor
    www.internetbusinessangels.com

    rwap, Aug 26, 2006

  3. rwap <> scripsit:

    > Internet Explorer is set to block scripts running on a webpage that is
    > based on your own computer (hence it spots the <script> tags and gives
    > the warning). However, once you upload it to a server, the script is
    > allowed to run (as it is running on your server, not your local
    > computer).

    That's completely upside down, as your upside-down quoting style.
    (Thanks for TOFU - it's a useful bogosity signal!)

    The script specified in a <script> element is always executed by the
    browser, not the server. For obvious reasons, it _should_ be treated as more
    dangerous when encountered on a casual web page than on the local system.
    For some odd reason, IE 7 beta (that's what we are talking about, aren't
    we?) gets this all upside-down.

    It's a browser problem. Let's hope they fix it somehow for the official
    release.

    --
    Jukka K. Korpela ("Yucca")
    http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/

    Jukka K. Korpela, Aug 26, 2006
  4. "Jukka K. Korpela" <> writes:

    [Local Machine Zone Lockdown]

    > [...] For some odd reason, IE 7 beta (that's what we are
    > talking about, aren't we?) gets this all upside-down.
    >
    > It's a browser problem. Let's hope they fix it somehow for the
    > official release.

    Not it isn't; it's an XP Service Pack 2 feature.

    <http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/winxppro/maintain/sp2brows.mspx#EKQBG>

    The behaviour is identical for IE 6 (as long as it is the system's
    primary IE installation and not a standalone).

    --
    ||| hexadecimal EBB
    o-o decimal 3771
    --oOo--( )--oOo-- octal 7273
    205 goodbye binary 111010111011

    Eric B. Bednarz, Aug 26, 2006
  5. John

    John Guest

    Thanks all!

    I have been gettin wrapped around trying to find a fix for this so that
    users of the website did not always get that error.

    And, yes, I am running Windows XP SP2 and IE 6.0 on my home computer.

    This is the first website I have ever uploaded to a hosting site, so the
    last element of my website design I was trying to fix was that error where
    it seems that my computer is protecting me from myself.

    It sounds like it goes away when I upload.

    Thanks again for the info!

    VR/

    Jon

    John, Aug 26, 2006
  6. John

    cwdjrxyz Guest

    John wrote:
    > Thanks all!
    >
    > I have been gettin wrapped around trying to find a fix for this so that
    > users of the website did not always get that error.
    >
    > And, yes, I am running Windows XP SP2 and IE 6.0 on my home computer.
    >
    > This is the first website I have ever uploaded to a hosting site, so the
    > last element of my website design I was trying to fix was that error where
    > it seems that my computer is protecting me from myself.
    >
    > It sounds like it goes away when I upload.

    Writing a page on the computer and then uploading to the server using a
    good ftp agent has considerable merit but, as you have found, things do
    not always work the same when on your local computer and when the site
    is on the server for general usage by others. There are many other
    cases when things work in a different manner locally on the computer
    and when you are on the web connecting to a server. I usually test a
    new page a bit locally on the computer and then use ftp to upload a
    directory containing the page and all needed images, audio, and video
    to the server. I then finish refinement of the page on the server using
    a php file manager there that is provided by the host. Of course you
    can download the page via ftp, modify it, and then upload again, but
    working on the server can be faster. For an extreme example, say you
    have a large file on the sever that you want to copy to the directory
    containing your new page. A 100 MB video file, for example, usually can
    be copied much more rapidly on the server than uploaded via ftp from
    the same file on your computer, even if you are on broadband. Things
    have changed considerably in this area. Here in the US about 70% of
    people now are on broadband and are connected all of the time, so there
    is no savings of money by reducing the time you are connected to the
    server. Also, server disc space and bandwidth have become very cheap
    compared to just a few years ago. I have unlimited disc storage space
    and 500 GB / month bandwidth for under $US 20 per month. Thus I often
    have the same image stored in several directors to keep it in the same
    directory with a page in which it is used. This is much more convenient
    than having single directories for all images, etc. When you wish to
    delete a page from the server, you just have to delete the complete
    directory it is in without having to worry that some images etc that
    will be deleted may be used by some other page.

    cwdjrxyz, Aug 27, 2006
  7. John

    dorayme Guest

    In article
    <>,
    "cwdjrxyz" <> wrote:

    > Here in the US about 70% of
    > people now are on broadband and are connected all of the time, so there
    > is no savings of money by reducing the time you are connected to the
    > server. Also, server disc space and bandwidth have become very cheap
    > compared to just a few years ago. I have unlimited disc storage space
    > and 500 GB / month bandwidth for under $US 20 per month.

    How common is such a good deal? Unlimited disc storage space
    and 500 GB / month bandwidth for under $US 20 per month! really?
    Truly? No catches? Ads? You can get on without delays?

    --
    dorayme

    dorayme, Aug 27, 2006
  8. John

    cwdjrxyz Guest

    dorayme wrote:
    > In article
    > <>,
    > "cwdjrxyz" <> wrote:
    >
    > > Here in the US about 70% of
    > > people now are on broadband and are connected all of the time, so there
    > > is no savings of money by reducing the time you are connected to the
    > > server. Also, server disc space and bandwidth have become very cheap
    > > compared to just a few years ago. I have unlimited disc storage space
    > > and 500 GB / month bandwidth for under $US 20 per month.

    > How common is such a good deal? Unlimited disc storage space
    > and 500 GB / month bandwidth for under $US 20 per month! really?
    > Truly? No catches? Ads? You can get on without delays?

    Take a look for yourself at http://www.hostexcellence.com/ . I have
    been on this host over 2 years and recently upgraded to their top plan:
    First Class Excellence. They describe their services in great detail.
    So far as I have seen, their descriptions are accurate. If I remember
    correctly, you are about 1/2 way around the world from me, so I do not
    know how this service would work for you if most of your users are in
    your area, especially if you need very high speed broadband. I usually
    can get up to about 5 Mbps download speeds for my site and other sites
    in the US that do not overload their servers. I can get fairly high
    download speeds for 2 speed test sites in London. However download
    speed drops to as low as 1 Mbps for test sites in some countries.
    However the parent company has branches in other countries, but I do
    not know anything about the quality of these. Of course what I like may
    not meet the needs of someone else, so one always has to read the fine
    print. Nearly everything is highly automated, and they do not run a
    hosting school for beginners. However they do have 24/7 support by
    email, phone, and chat for problems with their service. The high degree
    of automation probably is one of the main reasons that they can offer
    so much for a reasonable price. Of course, with the history of so many
    apparently fine hosting companies suddenly going out of business, my
    main advice is to keep your site backed up at all times, even if you
    have a host that has an outstanding reputation and has been in business
    for many years. I keep my site backed up on an internal and an external
    HD on the computer and on DVDs at another location in case the computer
    gets destroyed.

    cwdjrxyz, Aug 27, 2006
  9. John

    Dan Guest

    John wrote:
    > Hello all.
    > Why does this html:

    [snip code]
    > create the "To help protect your security, Internet Explorer has restricted
    > this file from showing Active Content that could access your computer."
    > message on my computer (Windows XP),

    Not in my Mozilla SeaMonkey browser it doesn't. Obviously, it's not
    the HTML code that creates such warnings, but your browser. If you
    don't like them, get a different browser!

    --
    Dan

    Dan, Aug 27, 2006
  10. John

    Stan McCann Guest

    "cwdjrxyz" <> wrote in

    > dorayme wrote:
    >> In article
    >> <>,
    >> "cwdjrxyz" <> wrote:

    >> > unlimited disc storage space and 500 GB / month bandwidth for
    >> > under $US 20 per month.

    >> How common is such a good deal? Unlimited disc storage space
    >> and 500 GB / month bandwidth for under $US 20 per month! really?
    >> Truly? No catches? Ads? You can get on without delays?

    > Take a look for yourself at http://www.hostexcellence.com/ . I have

    Wow. I may have to find out about the difficulties I've heard about
    when changing domain registration away from 1&1. That definitely looks
    like an excellent service. Thanks for the link.

    --
    Stan McCann, RETIRED!!, "Uncle Pirate" http://stanmccann.us/
    Implementing negative score for googlegroup postings, see

    Stan McCann, Aug 27, 2006