Windows XP Active Content Error Tutoring Needed

John

Hello all.
Why does this html:

<head>
</head>
<script> </script>

create the "To help protect your security, Internet Explorer has restricted
this file from showing Active Content that could access your computer."
message on my computer (Windows XP), but this webpage , for example,
http://www.dhtmlgoodies.com/scripts/dhtmlgoodies-slide-out-menu/dhtmlgoodies-slide-out-menu.html
does not even though it has <script> tags all over it?

??

Appreciate the help.

VR/

John

rwap

Hi John,

Internet Explorer is set to block scripts running on a webpage that is
based on your own computer (hence it spots the <script> tags and gives
the warning). However, once you upload it to a server, the script is
allowed to run (as it is running on your server, not your local
computer).

Rich Mellor
www.internetbusinessangels.com

Jukka K. Korpela

rwap said:
Internet Explorer is set to block scripts running on a webpage that is
based on your own computer (hence it spots the <script> tags and gives
the warning). However, once you upload it to a server, the script is
allowed to run (as it is running on your server, not your local
computer).

That's completely upside down, as your upside-down quoting style.
(Thanks for TOFU - it's a useful bogosity signal!)

The script specified in a <script> element is always executed by the
browser, not the server. For obvious reasons, it _should_ be treated as more
dangerous when encountered on a casual web page than on the local system.
For some odd reason, IE 7 beta (that's what we are talking about, aren't
we?) gets this all upside-down.

It's a browser problem. Let's hope they fix it somehow for the official
release.

Eric B. Bednarz

John

Thanks all!

I have been gettin wrapped around trying to find a fix for this so that
users of the website did not always get that error.

And, yes, I am running Windows XP SP2 and IE 6.0 on my home computer.

This is the first website I have ever uploaded to a hosting site, so the
last element of my website design I was trying to fix was that error where
it seems that my computer is protecting me from myself.

It sounds like it goes away when I upload.

Thanks again for the info!

VR/

Jon

cwdjrxyz

John said:
Thanks all!

I have been gettin wrapped around trying to find a fix for this so that
users of the website did not always get that error.

And, yes, I am running Windows XP SP2 and IE 6.0 on my home computer.

This is the first website I have ever uploaded to a hosting site, so the
last element of my website design I was trying to fix was that error where
it seems that my computer is protecting me from myself.

It sounds like it goes away when I upload.

Writing a page on the computer and then uploading to the server using a
good ftp agent has considerable merit but, as you have found, things do
not always work the same when on your local computer and when the site
is on the server for general usage by others. There are many other
cases when things work in a different manner locally on the computer
and when you are on the web connecting to a server. I usually test a
new page a bit locally on the computer and then use ftp to upload a
directory containing the page and all needed images, audio, and video
to the server. I then finish refinement of the page on the server using
a php file manager there that is provided by the host. Of course you
can download the page via ftp, modify it, and then upload again, but
working on the server can be faster. For an extreme example, say you
have a large file on the sever that you want to copy to the directory
containing your new page. A 100 MB video file, for example, usually can
be copied much more rapidly on the server than uploaded via ftp from
the same file on your computer, even if you are on broadband. Things
have changed considerably in this area. Here in the US about 70% of
people now are on broadband and are connected all of the time, so there
is no savings of money by reducing the time you are connected to the
server. Also, server disc space and bandwidth have become very cheap
compared to just a few years ago. I have unlimited disc storage space
and 500 GB / month bandwidth for under $US 20 per month. Thus I often
have the same image stored in several directors to keep it in the same
directory with a page in which it is used. This is much more convenient
than having single directories for all images, etc. When you wish to
delete a page from the server, you just have to delete the complete
directory it is in without having to worry that some images etc that
will be deleted may be used by some other page.

dorayme

"cwdjrxyz said:
Here in the US about 70% of
people now are on broadband and are connected all of the time, so there
is no savings of money by reducing the time you are connected to the
server. Also, server disc space and bandwidth have become very cheap
compared to just a few years ago. I have unlimited disc storage space
and 500 GB / month bandwidth for under $US 20 per month.

How common is such a good deal? Unlimited disc storage space
and 500 GB / month bandwidth for under $US 20 per month! really?
Truly? No catches? Ads? You can get on without delays?

cwdjrxyz

dorayme said:
How common is such a good deal? Unlimited disc storage space
and 500 GB / month bandwidth for under $US 20 per month! really?
Truly? No catches? Ads? You can get on without delays?

Take a look for yourself at http://www.hostexcellence.com/ . I have
been on this host over 2 years and recently upgraded to their top plan:
First Class Excellence. They describe their services in great detail.
So far as I have seen, their descriptions are accurate. If I remember
correctly, you are about 1/2 way around the world from me, so I do not
know how this service would work for you if most of your users are in
your area, especially if you need very high speed broadband. I usually
can get up to about 5 Mbps download speeds for my site and other sites
in the US that do not overload their servers. I can get fairly high
download speeds for 2 speed test sites in London. However download
speed drops to as low as 1 Mbps for test sites in some countries.
However the parent company has branches in other countries, but I do
not know anything about the quality of these. Of course what I like may
not meet the needs of someone else, so one always has to read the fine
print. Nearly everything is highly automated, and they do not run a
hosting school for beginners. However they do have 24/7 support by
email, phone, and chat for problems with their service. The high degree
of automation probably is one of the main reasons that they can offer
so much for a reasonable price. Of course, with the history of so many
apparently fine hosting companies suddenly going out of business, my
main advice is to keep your site backed up at all times, even if you
have a host that has an outstanding reputation and has been in business
for many years. I keep my site backed up on an internal and an external
HD on the computer and on DVDs at another location in case the computer
gets destroyed.

Dan

John said:
Hello all.
Why does this html: [snip code]
create the "To help protect your security, Internet Explorer has restricted
this file from showing Active Content that could access your computer."
message on my computer (Windows XP),

Not in my Mozilla SeaMonkey browser it doesn't. Obviously, it's not
the HTML code that creates such warnings, but your browser. If you
don't like them, get a different browser!