Wireless Internet in 2009 Chryslers

Discussion in 'Java' started by Agent Smith, Jun 25, 2008.

  1. Agent Smith

    Agent Smith Guest

    Chrysler will offer wireless Internet access in 2009 models

    latimes.com/business/la-fi-wificar25-2008jun25,0,1676276.story

    The struggling automaker's announcement comes shortly before California
    enacts a law that requires hands-free cellphone use while driving.

    By Ken Bensinger, Los Angeles Times Staff Writer

    June 25, 2008

    Have you ever thought rush hour on the 405 Freeway might be more
    bearable if you could check your e-mail, shop for a book on Amazon,
    place some bids on EBay and maybe even, if nobody is looking, download a
    little porn?

    Then perhaps you should be driving a Chrysler.

    The nation's third-largest automaker is set to announce Thursday that
    it's making wireless Internet an option on all its 2009 models. The
    mobile hotspot, called UConnect Web, would be the first such technology
    from any automaker.

    Struggling Chrysler is hoping that providing motorists access to the
    information superhighway will set it apart from competitors and help
    reverse a dismal year; through May, sales are down 19.3% compared with
    2007, the worst drop-off in the industry.

    "It's a notion of always wanting to be connected wherever you are," said
    Scott Slagle, Chrysler's senior manager of global marketing strategy,
    who has been testing the technology since last week, allowing his
    daughters to surf the Web from the back seat. "There's a demand for
    that."

    Coincidentally, Wi-Fi on wheels is being unveiled just days before new
    hands-free legislation goes into effect July 1 in California and
    Washington state. Those laws, designed to reduce accidents caused by
    driver distraction, prohibit talking on a cellular phone without a
    headset or other hands-free device.

    Perhaps not surprisingly, safety advocates were less than overwhelmed by
    Chrysler's innovation.

    "Surfing the Web is something people really don't have any business
    doing while they drive," said Jonathan Adkins, spokesman for the
    Governors Highway Safety Assn. "It's definitely a distraction."

    His and other safety groups say the only way to drive safely is without
    using any electronic devices, headset or no.

    Chrysler says that when the car is in motion, the service is intended to
    be used only by passengers. The privately held company acknowledges,
    however, that there is no way to prevent a driver from steering with one
    hand and Web surfing with the other.

    "We're relying on the responsibility of the consumer to follow
    appropriate legislation," said Keefe Leung, Chrysler's engineer for the
    product.

    In that case, Californians tempted to Google and drive can breathe a big
    sigh of relief: The new laws don't proscribe use of computers or the
    Web, except for drivers under 18 years old. There is a different law on
    the books preventing the use of television screens or video screens
    farther forward than the rear of the front seats, but it's unclear
    whether that measure applies to computers browsing the Internet.

    State Sen. Joe Simitian (D-Palo Alto), who authored the California laws,
    is trying to clarify that situation. He's introduced legislation
    prohibiting drivers from using any "mobile service device" (including
    computers) or text-messaging while driving.

    "It's great to see technology advance," Simitian said. "But this raises
    a lot of concerns."

    In Chrysler's defense, it's not the first company to offer Internet
    access in cars. Avis Rent A Car introduced Avis Connect in January 2007.
    Like UConnect Web, Avis Connect (which costs $10.95 a day) operates on
    the 3G network using a cellular-based signal.

    The device used by Avis is also available through its manufacturer,
    Autonet Mobile, for $595 plus a $39 monthly subscription rate. Users get
    download speeds of 600 megabits to 800 megabits per second.

    Avis spokesman John Barrows said the device, which is portable, is
    fairly popular but not in as much demand as GPS units.

    "We emphasize that this is not for use by the driver while operating the
    vehicle," Barrows said.

    Chrysler will formally roll out the technology Thursday at an event in
    Detroit spotlighting its 2009 lineup, which will appear in showrooms in
    September. The automaker did not disclose pricing, but said there would
    probably be a base charge for the option, plus a monthly or annual fee.

    UConnect Web is an extension of the company's UConnect system, which
    provides Bluetooth connectivity for cellphones and MP3 player
    integration with the car stereo. Rival Ford provides similar services,
    but without Web access, in its popular Sync system.

    With the added Internet connectivity, drivers and passengers will be
    able to get such devices as laptop computers and Nintendo Wii consoles
    online. As to what users can download while in the car, Chrysler's Leung
    said anything was fair game.

    "There are no limitations in content," he said.

    Agent Smith, Jun 25, 2008

  2. Agent Smith wrote:

> [...]
    > vehicle," Barrows said.
    >
    > Chrysler will formally roll out the technology Thursday at an event in
    > Detroit spotlighting its 2009 lineup, which will appear in showrooms in
    > September. The automaker did not disclose pricing, but said there would
    > probably be a base charge for the option, plus a monthly or annual fee.
    >
    > UConnect Web is an extension of the company's UConnect system, which
    > provides Bluetooth connectivity for cellphones and MP3 player
    > integration with the car stereo. Rival Ford provides similar services,
    > but without Web access, in its popular Sync system.
    >
    > With the added Internet connectivity, drivers and passengers will be
    > able to get such devices as laptop computers and Nintendo Wii consoles
    > online. As to what users can download while in the car, Chrysler's Leung
    > said anything was fair game.
    >
    > "There are no limitations in content," he said.

    I think I need to buy a bloody tank, I'm allready almost killed at least
    once every time I leave my house by some dumbshit in a hummer yapping on a
    cellphone, now they're giving them even more distraction.
    Morghan Phoenix, Jun 25, 2008

  3. Agent Smith

    Agent Smith Guest

    "-=Biscuit=-" <> wrote in

    > Agent Smith <> delighted
    > us to no end by taking a lime green crayon and scribbling in
    > news:Xns9AC8594FC4653agentsmithtwoblockso@207.115.17.102, on the
    > hallowed day of Wed 25 Jun 2008 05:46:46a:
    >

    >> Chrysler will offer wireless Internet access in 2009 models
    >>
    >> latimes.com/business/la-fi-wificar25-2008jun25,0,1676276.story
    >>
    >> The struggling automaker's announcement comes shortly before
    >> California enacts a law that requires hands-free cellphone use
    >> while driving.
    >>
    >> By Ken Bensinger, Los Angeles Times Staff Writer
    >>
    >> June 25, 2008
    >>
    >> Have you ever thought rush hour on the 405 Freeway might be
    >> more bearable if you could check your e-mail, shop for a book
    >> on Amazon, place some bids on EBay and maybe even, if nobody is
    >> looking, download a little porn?
    >>
    >> Then perhaps you should be driving a Chrysler.
    >>
    >> The nation's third-largest automaker is set to announce
    >> Thursday that it's making wireless Internet an option on all
    >> its 2009 models. The mobile hotspot, called UConnect Web, would
    >> be the first such technology from any automaker.

    > This isn't new (though it's aftermarket equipment), and you can
    > have it in any car.
    >
    > http://www.autonetmobile.com/

    I'm moving my library into the car, to do some reading while I'm on the
    road. ;)
    Agent Smith, Jun 25, 2008