    Or does anyone have a python script which takes a standard unix
    command as an argument and runs the pyton/windows equivalent on
    windows?

    John Leslie, Mar 4, 2005

  2. John Leslie

    Steve Holden Guest

    John Leslie wrote:
    > Or does anyone have a python script which takes a standard unix
    > command as an argument and runs the pyton/windows equivalent on
    > windows?

    This would seem to be a request of overkill of the worst kind, given the
    existing availability of tools like Cygwin (www.cygwin.com) and, more
    recently, CoLinux (www.colinux.org).

    Why do it in Python when it's better done already?

    regards
    Steve
    Come to PyCon DC 2005 http://www.pycon.org/
    Steve Holden http://www.holdenweb.com/

    Steve Holden, Mar 4, 2005

  3. John Leslie wrote:

    > Or does anyone have a python script which takes a standard unix
    > command as an argument and runs the pyton/windows equivalent on
    > windows?

    There's not always an equivalent command.

    -pu

    Patrick Useldinger, Mar 4, 2005
  4. On 2005-03-04, Patrick Useldinger <> wrote:
    > John Leslie wrote:
    >
    >> Or does anyone have a python script which takes a standard unix
    >> command as an argument and runs the pyton/windows equivalent on
    >> windows?

    > There's not always an equivalent command.

    If you install cygwin there almost always is.

    --
    Grant Edwards grante Yow! What I need is a
    at MATURE RELATIONSHIP with a

    Grant Edwards, Mar 4, 2005
  5. Grant Edwards wrote:
    > On 2005-03-04, Patrick Useldinger <> wrote:
    >
    >>John Leslie wrote:
    >>

    >>>Or does anyone have a python script which takes a standard unix
    >>>command as an argument and runs the pyton/windows equivalent on
    >>>windows?

    >>There's not always an equivalent command.

    > If you install cygwin there almost always is.

    Also worth mentioning: GnuWin32

    http://gnuwin32.sourceforge.net/

    Especially useful if you just want a few specific tools (and not an
    entire OS).

    STeVe

    Steven Bethard, Mar 4, 2005
  6. Grant Edwards wrote:

    > If you install cygwin there almost always is.

    If you install cygwin there's no need for what the OP describes.

    -pu

    Patrick Useldinger, Mar 4, 2005
  7. John Leslie

    Max Erickson Guest