Wordperfect for (Docbook-) XML - any manuals, tutorials, books?

Discussion in 'XML' started by Wolfgang Keller, May 13, 2005.

  1. Hello,

    are there any good tutorials, manuals, printed books etc. available
    about how to use Wordperfect for editing technical reports in (mostly
    Docbook-) XML?

    The PDF manual coming with Wordperfect Office is not exactly exhaustive
    concerning this subject, the online help doesn't "help" very far either.

    In a review of Wordperfect 9 I've read something about a 130-page
    "Wordperfect XML book" that was installed somewhere on disk during the
    WP Office installation, but if this is still included in WP Office 12,
    where is it?

    How far/deeply does the "Using Wordperfect 12" book cover XML? It's
    just one single chapter out of more than 20, so....

    Please note that I'm not looking for generic XML documentation, only
    WP-specific things.

    TIA,

    Sincerely

    Wolfgang Keller
    Wolfgang Keller, May 13, 2005

  2. Wolfgang Keller

    Jeff Chimene Guest

    Wolfgang Keller wrote:
    > Hello,
    >
    > are there any good tutorials, manuals, printed books etc. available
    > about how to use Wordperfect for editing technical reports in (mostly
    > Docbook-) XML?
    >
    > The PDF manual coming with Wordperfect Office is not exactly exhaustive
    > concerning this subject, the online help doesn't "help" very far either.
    >
    > In a review of Wordperfect 9 I've read something about a 130-page
    > "Wordperfect XML book" that was installed somewhere on disk during the
    > WP Office installation, but if this is still included in WP Office 12,
    > where is it?
    >
    > How far/deeply does the "Using Wordperfect 12" book cover XML? It's
    > just one single chapter out of more than 20, so....
    >
    > Please note that I'm not looking for generic XML documentation, only
    > WP-specific things.
    >
    > TIA,
    >
    > Sincerely
    >
    > Wolfgang Keller

    Hi Wolfgang,

    I'll try to give you a an overview. I no longer user WP, but one of my
    employees is developing documentation using WP's XML editor.

    Circa 1990 (?), WP introduced a validating SGML parser as an extension
    of their base product. What you're looking at is a direct descendant of
    that WP (formerly extra $, now bundled) extension. WP chose to implement
    proprietary data structures to represent an SGML DTD in the WP
    environment. Their DTD compiler (whose name I don't remember) takes an
    arbitrary DTD and transforms it into structures loaded by the WP editor.
    Several of these "compiled" DTDs are supplied with the product. I saw
    WP10, and it had DocBook v3.something. I hope WP12 at least has DocBook
    4.something, but I couldn't say for sure. You have that DTD compiler. It
    might be a stand-alone image, or available as part of the XML GUI
    sub-system. The compiler also knows about the XML catalog. The take-home
    point is that you can't just drop a DTD reference into your XML catalog
    and expect WP use it directly.

    When you start an XML document, you will have to choose a "root node"
    For example, our root node is "glossary" From the root node, all
    possible nodes will be displayed in a drop-down list box.

    You can also customize the display of the document in the WP editor
    space. For obvious reasons, this display won't be exported to your XML
    instance. However, it can improve readability during the editing
    process. I'd avoid this customization while learning the basics of the
    WP XML editor.

    WP's XML editor is actually very easy to learn. Start with a simple
    document (I'd advise DocBook Article) and go from there. Also, try
    have to use a down-version FPI (see above) to map that FPI to the
    compiled DTDs that came with your WP version.

    As I recall, there's a dialog box for editing attributes.

    Reveal codes isn't particularly helpful when editing XML documents.

    hth,
    jec
    Jeff Chimene, May 17, 2005