Words Words

utab

Dear all,

I am trying to count the occurence of words in an input stream I can
keep my words in a vector<string> as below;

#include <iostream>
#include <cmath>
#include <vector>
#include <iomanip>
#include <string>
#include <cstdlib>

using std::cout; using std::cin;
using std::vector; using std::endl;
using std::setprecision; using std::setw;
using std::max; using std::string;

int main(){
vector<string> str;
vector<string>::size_type sz;
string x;
while(cin >> x){
str.push_back(x);
}
sz=str.size();
for(vector<string>::size_type i=0; i!=sz; i++){
cout << str << endl;
}
return 0;
}

Now I think that sorting and finding the occurences are easier so sort
them alphabetically and then find the occurences. But the occurences
causing problems in the algorithms I try on paper. Please DO NOT USE
LISTS, VECTOR.ERASE(), ITERATORS IN THE PROBABLE SOLUTIONS.
Can someone give me any ideas on this?

Thx.

Daniel T.

"utab said:
[...]

Try using a std::map instead, and check out the bottom of my response to
you in the "occurence problem" thread.

Rolf Magnus

I would use std::map said:
Please DO NOT USE LISTS, VECTOR.ERASE(), ITERATORS IN THE PROBABLE
SOLUTIONS.

Why not?

utab

I am following a book and I have not covered map yet. I asked a close
friend also he recommended map. But I first would like to find the
answer this way. If can't then dive into map.

thanks for the quick replies

Daniel T.

"utab said:
Dear all,

I am trying to count the occurence of words in an input stream I can
keep my words in a vector<string> as below;

#include <iostream>
#include <cmath>
#include <vector>
#include <iomanip>
#include <string>
#include <cstdlib>

using std::cout; using std::cin;
using std::vector; using std::endl;
using std::setprecision; using std::setw;
using std::max; using std::string;

int main(){
vector<string> str;
vector<string>::size_type sz;
string x;
while(cin >> x){
str.push_back(x);

Don't load every word into the string, only unique words. (ie: if x not
in str, push_back x.

Once you do the above, post your code and I'll help you more.
}
sz=str.size();
for(vector<string>::size_type i=0; i!=sz; i++){
cout << str << endl;
}
return 0;
}

Now I think that sorting and finding the occurences are easier so sort
them alphabetically and then find the occurences. But the occurences
causing problems in the algorithms I try on paper. Please DO NOT USE
LISTS, VECTOR.ERASE(), ITERATORS IN THE PROBABLE SOLUTIONS.
Can someone give me any ideas on this?

utab

How to control that is not that easier to sort and apply. I am now
trying that but still problems with the algoritm I have created two
more vectors. One holding the words and the other holding the repeat
times corresponding to the words. Code is wrong but I am sending it
anyway. I think you will understand what I try to do

Thx,

#include <iostream>
#include <cmath>
#include <vector>
#include <iomanip>
#include <string>
#include <cstdlib>

using std::cout; using std::cin;
using std::vector; using std::endl;
using std::setprecision; using std::setw;
using std::max; using std::string;

bool compare(const string & str1 ,const string & str2 ){

return str1 < str2;

}

&nn){

int cnt=1;
vector<string>::size_type i=0;
string compare(S);
// problems with this while loop

while(i != S.size()){

if(S[i+1]==compare)
cnt++;
else{
compare=S[i+1];
if(S[i+1]==compare)
cnt++;
}
ss.push_back(compare);
nn.push_back(cnt);
i++;

int main(){

vector<string> str;
vector<string>::size_type sz;
vector<string> s;
vector<int> n;

string x;

while(cin >> x){

str.push_back(x);

}

sz=str.size();

for(vector<string>::size_type i=0; i!=sz; i++){

cout << str << endl;

}

sort(str.begin(),str.end(),compare);

for(vector<string>::size_type i=0; i!=sz; i++){

cout << str << endl;

}
count(str,s,n);

for(vector<string>::size_type i=0; i!=sz; i++){

cout << s << ' ' << n << endl;

}

return 0;

Daniel T.

"utab said:
How to control that is not that easier to sort and apply.

No, it isn't easer.
I am now
trying that but still problems with the algoritm I have created two
more vectors. One holding the words and the other holding the repeat
times corresponding to the words. Code is wrong but I am sending it
anyway. I think you will understand what I try to do

You need to start smaller, and work your way up. Paste the code below
into your cpp file (overwrite what you have) and then run the program.
What you are supposed to see is "working" what you will actually see is
some error message. Put code in the "insert your code here" spot and
keep running the program until you can get "working" to appear on the
screen. Once you do that, I'll take you to the next step.

@begin code

#include <iostream>
#include <cmath>
#include <vector>
#include <iomanip>
#include <string>
#include <cstdlib>

using std::cout; using std::cin;
using std::vector; using std::endl;
using std::setprecision; using std::setw;
using std::max; using std::string;

void count_words( const vector<string>& S, vector<string>& ss,
vector<int>& nn )
{
// insert code here
}