Work has been slow the last few weeks and I got bored!

Discussion in 'Java' started by Knute Johnson, Aug 26, 2007.

  1. So I decided to write a game again. My favorite game as a young man was
    Asteroids. In fact in the late seventies I actually owned an Asteroids
    machine. This isn't finished yet and it doesn't have any sound (if any
    body has some good ones for guns and ship explosions :). The code is a
    mess and so it isn't here yet. I would be curious how it plays on
    slower computers. The screen refresh is set at 10ms now and that may be
    too fast for some computers, I don't know.

    http://www.knutejohnson.com/test

    Directions:
    Turn the ship with the arrow keys
    Accelerate the ship with the up arrow key
    Fire with the space bar

    If it runs out of fuel it cannot be maneuvered but can shoot
    To restart the game click the mouse on the screen

    You can download the test.jar file and it will run as an application.

    I would appreciate some feedback as to playability and any deficiencies
    that you see in the game (other than sound). There is no sound in space
    right? If you have a slower machine (less than a Ghz), try downloading
    the test.jar file and resizing the frame to see if that makes it any better.

    It does require version 6.

    Thanks,

    --

    Knute Johnson
    email s/nospam/knute/
    Knute Johnson, Aug 26, 2007

  2. Knute Johnson wrote:
    > So I decided to write a game again. My favorite game as a young man was
    > Asteroids. In fact in the late seventies I actually owned an Asteroids
    > machine. This isn't finished yet and it doesn't have any sound (if any
    > body has some good ones for guns and ship explosions :). The code is a
    > mess and so it isn't here yet. I would be curious how it plays on
    > slower computers. The screen refresh is set at 10ms now and that may be
    > too fast for some computers, I don't know.
    >
    > http://www.knutejohnson.com/test
    >
    > Directions:
    > Turn the ship with the arrow keys
    > Accelerate the ship with the up arrow key
    > Fire with the space bar
    >
    > If it runs out of fuel it cannot be maneuvered but can shoot
    > To restart the game click the mouse on the screen
    >
    > You can download the test.jar file and it will run as an application.
    >
    > I would appreciate some feedback as to playability and any deficiencies
    > that you see in the game (other than sound). There is no sound in space
    > right? If you have a slower machine (less than a Ghz), try downloading
    > the test.jar file and resizing the frame to see if that makes it any
    > better.
    >
    > It does require version 6.
    >
    > Thanks,

    It now has sound and I have changed the name of the jar file to
    Asteroids.jar.

    --

    Knute Johnson
    email s/nospam/knute/