Working with dates

James Strickland

I'm working on a project for a class I'm taking.

I'm trying take a date from a user, I want to calculate how many days away that is, from todays date (date of entry), then identify based on the number of days which one of 2 programs the user will fall under.

http://pastebin.com/SxkjKW6j

Currently, I'm taking in Month, day, year separately. I would like to just take in a date (i.e. 10/31/2012), then go from there.

Right now, I'm Completely lost. Any help would be great!

James

Victor Bazarov

I'm working on a project for a class I'm taking.

I'm trying take a date from a user, I want to calculate how many days
away that is, from todays date (date of entry), then identify based
on the number of days which one of 2 programs the user will fall
under.

http://pastebin.com/SxkjKW6j

Currently, I'm taking in Month, day, year separately. I would like
to just take in a date (i.e. 10/31/2012), then go from there.

Right now, I'm Completely lost. Any help would be great!

Not sure what "Completely lost" means. Do elaborate on that. And post
your code. We're not going to click on some obscure link.

James Strickland

Not sure what "Completely lost" means. Do elaborate on that. And post

your code. We're not going to click on some obscure link.

Ok, sorry about that. I'm used to using pastebin. I'm lost as to how to input a date without separating month, day, year. I want to just input datein one line, (i.e. 12/31/2012). Then I want to calculate the number of days from the date entered to the date of entry (today).

<code>
#include <iostream>
#include <ctime>

using namespace std;

int main()
{
int month;
int day;
int year;

string monthName[12] = {"January", "February","March","April","May","June","July","August","September","October","November","December"};

cout << "Enter the official Separation date" << endl;
cout << "below. NOT YOUR TERMINAL LEAVE DATE!" << endl;
cout << "Enter Month [1-12]: ";
cin >> month;

if (month > 12 || month < 1)
{ month = 1; }

cout << "Enter Day [1-31]: ";
cin >> day;

if ( day > 31 || day < 1)
{ day = 1; }

cout << "Enter Year [2012]: ";
cin >> year;

if ( year > 2015 || year < 2001 )
{ year = 2001; }

system("pause");
}
</code>

Victor Bazarov

[..] I'm lost as to how to input a date without separating month,
day, year. I want to just input date in one line, (i.e. 12/31/2012).
Then I want to calculate the number of days from the date entered to
the date of entry (today). [..]

The easiest way to input a line would be to use 'std::getline' function.
Once the you got the line, parse it by using any means available to
you, one of which might be 'std::istringstream'. Check error state of
the 'cin' and other streams often.

(this is without testing)

std::string input;
if (std::getline(cin, input))
{
std::istringstream toparse(input);
int month;
if (toparse >> month)
{
if (month >= 1 && month <= 12) // and so on...

Parsing input is not always simple. I am not sure what the best book is
on the subject, so start by googling for "parse standard input C++" or
some such.

James Strickland

Am 30.11.12 17:06, schrieb Victor Bazarov:
On 11/30/2012 10:54 AM, James Strickland wrote:
[..] I'm lost as to how to input a date without separating month,
day, year. I want to just input date in one line, (i.e. 12/31/2012).
Then I want to calculate the number of days from the date entered to
the date of entry (today). [..]
The easiest way to input a line would be to use 'std::getline' function.
Once the you got the line, parse it by using any means available to
you, one of which might be 'std::istringstream'. Check error state of
the 'cin' and other streams often.

Parsing input is not always simple. I am not sure what the best book is
on the subject, so start by googling for "parse standard input C++"

That's one of the things I'm really disappointed with iostreams. Such a

simple parsing problem could be solved by scanf using a pattern like

%2d/%2d/%4d

There is no equivalent in iostreams to do this in an easy way. The

closest thing would be regexp, but that seems to be overkill.

Christian

Is there a way to do this simply buy subtracting two dates like you would in Excel?

10/31/2013 - 10/31/2012 = 365 days?

Victor Bazarov

[...]

If sscanf serves all your needs, then use it. It's part of C++ Standard
library. You don't have to use streams, unless your instructor insists
that you do.

Cholo Lennon

[...]

In my case at least, boost usage is a simple way to do it, so I would
use Boost.Date_Time library

Regards

Howard Hinnant

I'm working on a project for a class I'm taking.

I'm trying take a date from a user, I want to calculate how many days away that is, from todays date (date of entry), then identify based on the number of days which one of 2 programs the user will fall under.

I doubt this is what your instructor is looking for. However if you have aC++11 compiler/library available, here is how you can do it. It uses the new get_time and put_time manipulators in <iomanip> for the date I/O, specifying "%m/%d/%Y" for the input format which appears to be your preferred format. Then it uses <chrono> do convert a double number of seconds into an int number of days.

#include <iostream>
#include <iomanip>
#include <chrono>

template <class To, class Rep, class Period>
round_up(const std::chrono::duration<Rep, Period>& d)
{
To t = std::chrono::duration_cast<To>(d);
if (t < d)
++t;
return t;
}

int main()
{
typedef std::chrono::duration<int, std::ratio<86400>> days;
typedef std::chrono::duration<double> dsecs;
// Input separation date
std::cout << "Enter separation date [mm/dd/yyyy]:";
std::tm sep_tm = {0};
while (true)
{
std::cin >> std::get_time(&sep_tm, "%m/%d/%Y");
if (std::cin)
break;
std::cout << "\nInvalid format. Please enter separation date using[mm/dd/yyyy]:";
sep_tm = std::tm{0};
std::cin.clear();
std::cin.ignore(1, '\n');
}
// show off a little
std::cout << "You entered a separation date of " << std::put_time(&sep_tm, "%A, %b. %e, %Y\n");
// get difference from current time in double seconds
double secs = std::difftime(std::mktime(&sep_tm), std::time(nullptr));
// convert double seconds to int days
days d = round_up<days>(dsecs(secs));
// Print it out
switch (d.count())
{
case 0:
std::cout << "That is today.\n";
break;
case -1:
std::cout << "That was yesterday.\n";
break;
case 1:
std::cout << "That is tomorrow.\n";
break;
default:
if (d < days(0))
std::cout << "That was " << d.count() << " days ago.\n";
else
std::cout << "That is in " << d.count() << " days.\n";
break;

James Strickland

I'm working on a project for a class I'm taking.

I'm trying take a date from a user, I want to calculate how many days away that is, from todays date (date of entry), then identify based on the number of days which one of 2 programs the user will fall under.

http://pastebin.com/SxkjKW6j

Currently, I'm taking in Month, day, year separately. I would like to just take in a date (i.e. 10/31/2012), then go from there.

Right now, I'm Completely lost. Any help would be great!

James

sep_tm = std::tm{0};

This returned the following error:
1>------ Build started: Project: Project2, Configuration: Debug Win32 ------
1>Build started 12/5/2012 3:18:31 PM.
1>InitializeBuildStatus:
1> Touching "Debug\Project2.unsuccessfulbuild".
1>ClCompile:
1> Source.cpp
1>c:\users\james\documents\visual studio 2012\projects\project2\project2\source.cpp(28): error C2275: 'tm' : illegal use of this type as an expression
1>c:\users\james\documents\visual studio 2012\projects\project2\project2\source.cpp(28): error C2143: syntax error : missing ';' before '{'
1>c:\users\james\documents\visual studio 2012\projects\project2\project2\source.cpp(28): error C2143: syntax error : missing ';' before '}'
1>
1>Build FAILED.
1>
1>Time Elapsed 00:00:01.20
========== Build: 0 succeeded, 1 failed, 0 up-to-date, 0 skipped ==========

I'm using Visual Studio 2012.

Victor Bazarov

[..]
sep_tm = std::tm{0};

This returned the following error: [..]
I'm using Visual Studio 2012.

VC++ 2012 has no support yet for the "brace-init-list" (8.5.4).

James Strickland

sep_tm = std::tm{0};
This returned the following error:
[..]

I'm using Visual Studio 2012.

VC++ 2012 has no support yet for the "brace-init-list" (8.5.4).

WHAT? A microsoft product not supporting something? Thanks for the help, I'll have t compile it a different way. What can I use?

-James