working with Test::Unit

aidy

Hi,

I use Watir and Test::Unit.

There are a number of sites I test that are very similar.

I have a base test unit script e.g.

class Main_Site_Test < Test::Unit::TestCase
include Watir::Assertions

def setup
@browser = Project::Browser.new
@register = Project::Register.new
@home = Project::HomeExceptions.new
@login = {:url=> 'main_site.com'}
end

def test_0002_login
@browser.goto(@login[:url])
@home.log_in_link.click
@home.username_edit.set('(e-mail address removed)')
@home.password_edit.set('pass123')
@register.go_button.click
verify(@browser.include('Welcome'), 'not logged in successfully')

rescue => e
@browser.close
end

So for the next site I will do this

class Similar_Test < Main_Site_Test
def setup
super
@login = {:url=> 'similar_test.com'}
end
end

However, I can't run the Similar_Test class without running the
Main_Site_Test class

require 'main_site_test'
require 'similar_test'

Also, I have written 'test_0002_login', can I not just use that
specific method in different test classes?

Any suggestions?

Aidy

Brian Adkins

[...]

I think this only partially applies to your situation, but the
following thread has info regarding inheritance issues with Test::Unit

http://groups.google.com/group/comp.lang.ruby/browse_frm/thread/a2ee41414dc9376d/eea4ead591c1da1f

If it's not helpful, maybe you could clarify what you want to do. It
seems from your post that you don't want to be required to execute
Main_Site_Test to execute Similar_Test, but you also want to reuse
test_0002_login which is in Main_Site_Test.

Jari Williamsson

aidy said:
However, I can't run the Similar_Test class without running the
Main_Site_Test class

require 'main_site_test'
require 'similar_test'

Also, I have written 'test_0002_login', can I not just use that
specific method in different test classes?

Any suggestions?

Would using mixin instead inheritance work in your case?

Best regards,

Jari Williamsson

aidy

Hi Jari,
Would using mixin instead inheritance work in your case?

Could you give me an example of where the module would be used and
what it would contain?

Aidy

aidy

If it's not helpful, maybe you could clarify what you want to do. It
seems from your post that you don't want to be required to execute
Main_Site_Test to execute Similar_Test, but you also want to reuse
test_0002_login which is in Main_Site_Test.- Hide quoted text -

class Common < Test::Unit::TestCase
include Watir::Assertions

def setup
@browser = Project::Browser.new
@home = Project::HomeExceptions.new
@register = Project::Register.new
@login = {:url=> 'baseclass.com'}
end

def test_login
@browser.goto(@login[:url])
@home.log_in_link.click
@home.username_edit.set('(e-mail address removed)')
@home.password_edit.set('pass123')
@register.go_button.click
end

end

class Sub_Class < Common

def setup
@login = {:url=> 'subclass.com'}
end

def test_login
super
end

end

I am looking to use the methods in the Common class only in the sub
class. I do not want the the Common
class to run as well.

Aidy

Matt Berney

aidy said:
Hi Jari,

Could you give me an example of where the module would be used and
what it would contain?

Aidy

We encountered a similar condition with our test framework. While the
Test::Unit framework provides the mechanism to run tests, we found that
there was a lot of duplication of code...particularly in the
setup/teardown methods.

Our approach used something like this (names changed to protect the
innocent)

common_testcase.rb

module MyNamespace
module TestCase

def setup
# Enter common setup code here
puts "Common setup code"
end

def teardown
# Enter common teardown code here
puts "Common teardown code"
end

def doWork
# Enter common worker code here
puts "Common worker method"
end

end # TestCase
end # MyNamespace

my_testcase.rb

class TC_MyTestCase < Test::Unit::TestCase

require 'common_testcase.rb'
include MyNameSpace::TestCase

# Test Case - Do the test
def test_doTest
doWork
end
end # TC_MyTestCase

By implementing the common functionality in a separate module, it can be
included in each of your test cases. Place the common code in the
module, and mixin with the test cases. Just don't place any 'test_*'
methods in the common code.

Hope this helps.