Worst ever?

Clive Moss

I know this is slightly off topic but I thought some here would be
interested to see the ultimate in bad design:

Take a look at www.wyastonehotel.co.uk

(You'll need IE6 to see anything other than gobble-de-gook)

Incidentally when I try to view source in IE6 the option is greyed-out. None
of the tricks to overcome this, talked about here a few days ago work on
this site. Viewing source in Mozilla just gives the same gobble-de-gook as
the page.

Any comments?

Clive

rf

brucie said:
its an image being sent with the wrong mime type.

because it is an image

It's also bloody sideways, as well as being a scan of somebodys brochure.
That should have been a dead giveaway :)

Cheers
Richard.

Talc Ta Matt

Strange. Maybe when someone calls in asking for info they just refer them to
this page and tell them to print it out. That's the only explanation if this is
a finished page.

Gerry Nance

The page consists of a brochure that has been scanned in as an image. Save the
webpage from the file menu of your browser (AOL), to My Documents, then look
for an wyastonehotel.HTM, and open with Notepad, look for a
folder named wyastonehotel_co[2]_files, open it and then open the grapghic in
MSIE, right-clik over the graphic, and Save as BMP.

<!-- saved from url=(0031)http://www.wyastonehotel.co.uk/ -->
<.HTML><.HEAD>
<.META http-equiv=Content-Type content="text/html; charset=windows-1252">
<.META content="MSHTML 6.00.2600.0" name=GENERATOR><./HEAD>
<.BODY><.IMG
src="wyastonehotel_co[2]_files/wyastonehotel.co[2]"><./BODY><./HTML>

Gerry Nance
World Alumni Registry
http://www.alumni.net
Register Today! Pass it on...

rf

Hi Clive,

That's an interesting puzzle you've given. Somewhere in that page is source
code which seems impossible to find. In an attempt to duplicate the effect
to try and determine how it was done, I've renamed gif, bmp, and jpg files
with html extensions and opened them in the various browsers. I got
gobbledy gook in all of them each time. Then I tried a page with nothing
but an image tag, not even the <html> tags, and it showed the image in both
IE and Mozilla. I'd be interested to know how it was done if anyone figures
out the code for this site.

As brucie said over twelve hours ago, its a jpg served with the wrong mime
type. There is no source code.

Cheers
Richard.

Tim Radford

Hi Clive,

That's an interesting puzzle you've given. Somewhere in that page is
source code which seems impossible to find. In an attempt to duplicate
the effect to try and determine how it was done, I've renamed gif, bmp,
and jpg files with html extensions and opened them in the various
browsers. I got gobbledy gook in all of them each time. Then I tried a
page with nothing but an image tag, not even the <html> tags, and it
showed the image in both IE and Mozilla. I'd be interested to know how it
was done if anyone figures out the code for this site.

There is no special code - it is simply a GIF file that has been named as
index.htm. When IE receives it from the server it detects that it is a gif
and loads the picture (although it fails if the file is loaded locally).
Other browsers try to interpret it as HTML and the result is gobbledegook.

Daniel R. Tobias

Gerry said:
The page consists of a brochure that has been scanned in as an image. Save the
webpage from the file menu of your browser (AOL),

Maybe *your* browser is AOL, but *mine* certainly isn't!

UltraEdit is better. said:
look for a
folder named wyastonehotel_co[2]_files, open it and then open the grapghic in
MSIE, right-clik over the graphic, and Save as BMP.

I've got better programs to open graphics in than MSIE, too... I try to
avoid using that program when I can help it.