    Clive Moss Guest

    I know this is slightly off topic but I thought some here would be
    interested to see the ultimate in bad design:

    Take a look at www.wyastonehotel.co.uk

    (You'll need IE6 to see anything other than gobble-de-gook)

    Incidentally when I try to view source in IE6 the option is greyed-out. None
    of the tricks to overcome this, talked about here a few days ago work on
    this site. Viewing source in Mozilla just gives the same gobble-de-gook as
    the page.

    Any comments?

    Clive
    Clive Moss, Jul 31, 2003

  2. Clive Moss

    brucie Guest

    In post <gX3Wa.9$>
    Clive Moss said...

    > Take a look at www.wyastonehotel.co.uk
    > (You'll need IE6 to see anything other than gobble-de-gook)

    its an image being sent with the wrong mime type.

    > Incidentally when I try to view source in IE6 the option is greyed-out. None
    > of the tricks to overcome this,

    because it is an image

    --
    brucie a. blackford. 31/July/2003 06:01:59 pm kilo.
    http://loser.brucies.com/
    brucie, Jul 31, 2003

  3. Clive Moss

    rf Guest

    "brucie" <> wrote in message
    > In post <gX3Wa.9$>
    > Clive Moss said...
    >
    > > Take a look at www.wyastonehotel.co.uk
    > > (You'll need IE6 to see anything other than gobble-de-gook)

    > its an image being sent with the wrong mime type.
    >
    > > Incidentally when I try to view source in IE6 the option is greyed-out.

    None
    > > of the tricks to overcome this,

    > because it is an image

    It's also bloody sideways, as well as being a scan of somebodys brochure.
    That should have been a dead giveaway :)

    Cheers
    Richard.
    rf, Jul 31, 2003
  4. "mattchu" <> wrote in message news:<bgal9i$mnpt6$-berlin.de>...
    > I was enjoying a good book in gX3Wa.9$,
    > when Clive Moss <> stumbled in shouting
    > while inebriated:
    > > I know this is slightly off topic but I thought some here would be
    > > interested to see the ultimate in bad design:
    > >
    > > Take a look at www.wyastonehotel.co.uk
    > >
    > > (You'll need IE6 to see anything other than gobble-de-gook)
    > >
    > > Incidentally when I try to view source in IE6 the option is
    > > greyed-out. None of the tricks to overcome this, talked about here a
    > > few days ago work on this site. Viewing source in Mozilla just gives
    > > the same gobble-de-gook as the page.
    > >
    > > Any comments?

    > The visual design is all right but someone forgot to convert the image into
    > an actual page via Dreamweaver! haha

    Anyone else notice that there are no contact details?

    --
    Hywel
    Hywel Jenkins, Jul 31, 2003
  5. In article <gX3Wa.9$>,
    says...
    > I know this is slightly off topic but I thought some here would be
    > interested to see the ultimate in bad design:
    >
    > Take a look at www.wyastonehotel.co.uk

    How did you find the page?
    Jacqui or (maybe) Pete, Jul 31, 2003
  6. Clive Moss

    Talc Ta Matt Guest

    Strange. Maybe when someone calls in asking for info they just refer them to
    this page and tell them to print it out. That's the only explanation if this is
    a finished page.
    Talc Ta Matt, Jul 31, 2003
  7. While the city slept, Jacqui or (maybe) Pete <> feverishly
    typed:

    > In article <gX3Wa.9$>,
    > says...
    >> I know this is slightly off topic but I thought some here would be
    >> interested to see the ultimate in bad design:
    >>
    >> Take a look at www.wyastonehotel.co.uk
    >> How did you find the page?

    Bloody awful! ;-)

    Cheers,
    Nige

    --
    Nigel Moss.

    "How strange the change from major to minor..."
    nice.guy.nige, Jul 31, 2003
  8. Clive Moss

    Clive Moss Guest

    "Jacqui or (maybe) Pete" <> wrote in message
    > In article <gX3Wa.9$>,
    > says...
    > > I know this is slightly off topic but I thought some here would be
    > > interested to see the ultimate in bad design:
    > >
    > > Take a look at www.wyastonehotel.co.uk
    > >

    > How did you find the page?

    We were looking through members of the Chamber of Commerce (whose site we
    are designing)
    Clive Moss, Jul 31, 2003
  9. While the city slept, Jacqui or (maybe) Pete <> feverishly
    typed:

    > In article <bgbgrl$mu2j6$-berlin.de>,
    > says...
    >> While the city slept, Jacqui or (maybe) Pete <>

    feverishly
    >> typed:
    >>
    >>> In article <gX3Wa.9$>,
    >>> says...

    >> Bloody awful! ;-)
    >> Take my website ...

    > ... please!

    I say I say I say...

    "My web site has no DTD."

    "How does it validate?"

    "It doesn't!" (Ba'dum, tssh!)

    Cheers,
    Nige

    nice.guy.nige, Jul 31, 2003
  10. Clive Moss

    mattchu Guest

    I was enjoying a good book in bgbtgf$nbmg7$-berlin.de,
    when nice.guy.nige <> stumbled in shouting while
    inebriated:
    > I say I say I say...
    >
    > "My web site has no DTD."
    >
    > "How does it validate?"
    >
    > "It doesn't!" (Ba'dum, tssh!)

    *laughing out loud*

    --
    best regards, mattchu
    mattchu, Jul 31, 2003
  11. Clive Moss

    Gerry Nance Guest

    The page consists of a brochure that has been scanned in as an image. Save the
    webpage from the file menu of your browser (AOL), to My Documents, then look
    for an wyastonehotel.HTM, and open with Notepad, look for a
    folder named wyastonehotel_co[2]_files, open it and then open the grapghic in
    MSIE, right-clik over the graphic, and Save as BMP.

    <!-- saved from url=(0031)http://www.wyastonehotel.co.uk/ -->
    <.HTML><.HEAD>
    <.META http-equiv=Content-Type content="text/html; charset=windows-1252">
    <.META content="MSHTML 6.00.2600.0" name=GENERATOR><./HEAD>
    <.BODY><.IMG
    src="wyastonehotel_co[2]_files/wyastonehotel.co[2]"><./BODY><./HTML>

    Gerry Nance
    World Alumni Registry
    http://www.alumni.net
    Register Today! Pass it on...
    Gerry Nance, Aug 1, 2003
  12. Clive Moss

    rf Guest

    "My Liege" <> wrote in message
    > "Clive Moss" <> wrote in
    >
    > > Take a look at www.wyastonehotel.co.uk

    > Hi Clive,
    >
    > That's an interesting puzzle you've given. Somewhere in that page is

    source
    > code which seems impossible to find. In an attempt to duplicate the effect
    > to try and determine how it was done, I've renamed gif, bmp, and jpg files
    > with html extensions and opened them in the various browsers. I got
    > gobbledy gook in all of them each time. Then I tried a page with nothing
    > but an image tag, not even the <html> tags, and it showed the image in

    both
    > IE and Mozilla. I'd be interested to know how it was done if anyone

    figures
    > out the code for this site.

    As brucie said over twelve hours ago, its a jpg served with the wrong mime
    type. There is no source code.

    Cheers
    Richard.
    rf, Aug 1, 2003
  13. Clive Moss

    Tim Radford Guest

    On Fri, 01 Aug 2003 08:36:09 GMT, My Liege <> wrote:

    >> I know this is slightly off topic but I thought some here would be
    >> interested to see the ultimate in bad design:
    >>
    >> Take a look at www.wyastonehotel.co.uk
    >>

    > Hi Clive,
    >
    > That's an interesting puzzle you've given. Somewhere in that page is
    > source code which seems impossible to find. In an attempt to duplicate
    > the effect to try and determine how it was done, I've renamed gif, bmp,
    > and jpg files with html extensions and opened them in the various
    > browsers. I got gobbledy gook in all of them each time. Then I tried a
    > page with nothing but an image tag, not even the <html> tags, and it
    > showed the image in both IE and Mozilla. I'd be interested to know how it
    > was done if anyone figures out the code for this site.

    There is no special code - it is simply a GIF file that has been named as
    index.htm. When IE receives it from the server it detects that it is a gif
    and loads the picture (although it fails if the file is loaded locally).
    Other browsers try to interpret it as HTML and the result is gobbledegook.

    --
    Tim
    Tim Radford, Aug 1, 2003
  14. Clive Moss

    Tim Radford Guest

    On Fri, 01 Aug 2003 10:05:27 +0100, Tim Radford
    <> wrote:

    > There is no special code - it is simply a GIF file

    ^^^
    Sorry, slip of the mind, I meant JPEG.

    --
    Tim
    Tim Radford, Aug 1, 2003
  15. Gerry Nance wrote:

    > The page consists of a brochure that has been scanned in as an image. Save the
    > webpage from the file menu of your browser (AOL),

    Maybe *your* browser is AOL, but *mine* certainly isn't!

    UltraEdit is better. < http://www.ultraedit.com/ >

    > look for a
    > folder named wyastonehotel_co[2]_files, open it and then open the grapghic in
    > MSIE, right-clik over the graphic, and Save as BMP.

    I've got better programs to open graphics in than MSIE, too... I try to
    avoid using that program when I can help it.

    --
    == Dan ==
    Daniel R. Tobias, Aug 1, 2003