Writing a Lisp interpreter in Perl?

Discussion in 'Perl Misc' started by Asmo, Jul 7, 2004.

  1. Asmo

    Asmo Guest

    Hi all. I was thinking of doing a personal project, and I was
    considering which, out of my favorite two languages (Perl and Lisp) I
    should do it in, when I decided I could combine both into one awesome
    project!

    I want to write a Lisp interpreter in Perl, but I was wondering a few
    things before undertaking such a task:

    1) Has it been done before? I did a search through CPAN, and found a
    few implementations of some Lisp things, but not a complete
    interpretor, and a search on google returned a few things as well, but
    nothing complete. So has anyone heard of this being done?

    2) Is it impossible? I can understand (and indeed, I look forward to)
    a challenge, but if there is some reason it will be impossible, I'd
    like to know before putting time into it.

    3) Does anyone have any advice? Luckily for me, most of the ANSI Lisp
    functions can be written using other Lisp code, so if I can provide
    basic functionality, I could be pretty well set. But if anyone has
    any words of wisdom, I'd be glad to hear.

    Alright, thanks guys, and sorry if I'm wasting your time!
    Asmo, Jul 7, 2004

  2. [posted & mailed]

    On 7 Jul 2004, Asmo wrote:

    >1) Has it been done before? I did a search through CPAN, and found a
    >few implementations of some Lisp things, but not a complete
    >interpretor, and a search on google returned a few things as well, but
    >nothing complete. So has anyone heard of this being done?

    Gisle Aas (of LWP fame) has written something:

    http://search.cpan.org/~gaas/perl-lisp-0.05/

    --
    Jeff "japhy" Pinyan % How can we ever be the sold short or
    RPI Acacia Brother #734 % the cheated, we who for every service
    Jeff 'japhy' Pinyan, Jul 7, 2004