Writing a local XML file from a parsed URL?? Similar to RSS

linearfusion

Hello,

I may not have worded the subject correctly, but what I am trying to do
is pull the XML data from the following stream,
http://www.360voice.com/api/blog-getentries.asp?tag=changeagent&num=5,
into a webpage. What I would like to do, or think I need to do is
create a webpage that will pull the XML data from the above URL and
write it to a local XML file. I would then like to apply an XSL
stylesheet to the local XML file and display it on a website. In other
words, I am trying to pull the above URL into my website.... so I am
looking for a place to start with javascript. This is almost like
displaying RSS feeds into a webpage.

Thanks so much!!!!!
Shannon

Jeremy

linearfusion said:
Hello,

I may not have worded the subject correctly, but what I am trying to do
is pull the XML data from the following stream,
http://www.360voice.com/api/blog-getentries.asp?tag=changeagent&num=5,
into a webpage. What I would like to do, or think I need to do is
create a webpage that will pull the XML data from the above URL and
write it to a local XML file. I would then like to apply an XSL
stylesheet to the local XML file and display it on a website. In other
words, I am trying to pull the above URL into my website.... so I am
looking for a place to start with javascript. This is almost like
displaying RSS feeds into a webpage.

Thanks so much!!!!!
Shannon

Shannon,
I'm afraid you're barking up the wrong tree with Javascript. This is
something you need to do server-side; for example, using PHP or a
similar back-end language.

Due to security restrictions on Javascript, it's not possible to
(directly) grab a file from a server besides your own. You could have a
backend script that grabs a remote file and spits it back out, and then
use javascript to access the remote feed through that backend script.
Then, you could use XSLT (for example: AjaXSLT, a Google library) to
transform the feed.

But this is probably best accomplished through a backend script. Ask in
a PHP group - you can do what you want to do in about 8 lines of code
with PHP.

Jeremy

linearfusion

Awesome!! Thanks for the help!!