    displaying RSS feeds into a webpage.

    Thanks so much!!!!!
    Shannon

    linearfusion, Jun 27, 2006

  2. linearfusion

    Jeremy Guest

    linearfusion wrote:
    > Hello,
    >
    > I may not have worded the subject correctly, but what I am trying to do
    > is pull the XML data from the following stream,
    > http://www.360voice.com/api/blog-getentries.asp?tag=changeagent&num=5,
    > into a webpage. What I would like to do, or think I need to do is
    > create a webpage that will pull the XML data from the above URL and
    > write it to a local XML file. I would then like to apply an XSL
    > stylesheet to the local XML file and display it on a website. In other
    > words, I am trying to pull the above URL into my website.... so I am
    > looking for a place to start with javascript. This is almost like
    > displaying RSS feeds into a webpage.
    >
    > Thanks so much!!!!!
    > Shannon

    Shannon,
    I'm afraid you're barking up the wrong tree with Javascript. This is
    something you need to do server-side; for example, using PHP or a
    similar back-end language.

    Due to security restrictions on Javascript, it's not possible to
    (directly) grab a file from a server besides your own. You could have a
    backend script that grabs a remote file and spits it back out, and then
    use javascript to access the remote feed through that backend script.
    Then, you could use XSLT (for example: AjaXSLT, a Google library) to
    transform the feed.

    But this is probably best accomplished through a backend script. Ask in
    a PHP group - you can do what you want to do in about 8 lines of code
    with PHP.

    Jeremy

    Jeremy, Jun 27, 2006

  3. linearfusion