  1. Guest

    I was wondering if anyone knows how to write a tic tac toe game in c++?

    , Nov 17, 2006

  2. osmium Guest

    <> wrote:

    >I was wondering if anyone knows how to write a tic tac toe game in c++?

    I would expect that any C++ programmer who knew the rules of tic tac toe
    could write such a program.

    osmium, Nov 17, 2006

  3. Jim Langston Guest

    <> wrote in message
    >I was wondering if anyone knows how to write a tic tac toe game in c++?

    Yes.

    Jim Langston, Nov 17, 2006
  4. No, sadly no one has yet been able to solve the so called 'tic-tac-toe'
    paradox. Despite my best efforts during 12 years of research, I have
    still not come up with a satisfactory solution. There is currently a
    group of scientists at MIT, who claim to be close to a solution, you
    may want to contact them at .

    Jeremy Jurksztowicz, Nov 17, 2006

    Jim Langston wrote:
    > <> wrote in message
    > >I was wondering if anyone knows how to write a tic tac toe game in c++?

    > Yes.

    I got to do this for a final in my C++ class and to be honest i'm
    completely clueless. Could you please enlighten me?

    , Nov 17, 2006
  6. * :
    > Jim Langston wrote:
    >> <> wrote in message
    >>> I was wondering if anyone knows how to write a tic tac toe game in c++?

    >> Yes.

    > I got to do this for a final in my C++ class and to be honest i'm
    > completely clueless. Could you please enlighten me?

    Start by writing a "guess a random integer number by being informed
    whether each guess is too low or high or correct" program A, just to get
    a feel for how it is to write an interactive program.

    Then write a program B that systematically solves this problem on its
    own, acting like the user; no theory needed, just common sense.

    Then write a program C that let's the user solve a simple problem such
    as crossing a river in a boat with limited capacity (two most popular
    variants being 3 nuns and 3 cannibals, and farmer+goat+wolf+wheat).

    Then write a program D that solves this problem on its own; you'll need
    to look into min-max algorithm.

    Then write a program E that let's the user place dots and crosses on the
    tic-tac-toe board.

    Then write a program F where the user plays tic-tac-toe against the
    computer (since 3x3 tic-tac-toe is easily analyzed completely on paper
    there's no real need to use e.g. min-max, but probably easiest to do).

    --
    A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
    Q: Why is it such a bad thing?

    Alf P. Steinbach, Nov 17, 2006
  7. * Alf P. Steinbach:
    > * :
    >> Jim Langston wrote:
    >>> <> wrote in message
    >>> Yes.

    >> I got to do this for a final in my C++ class and to be honest i'm
    >> completely clueless. Could you please enlighten me?

    > Start by writing a "guess a random integer number by being informed
    > whether each guess is too low or high or correct" program A, just to get
    > a feel for how it is to write an interactive program.
    >
    > Then write a program B that systematically solves this problem on its
    > own, acting like the user; no theory needed, just common sense.
    >
    > Then write a program C that let's the user solve a simple problem such
    > as crossing a river in a boat with limited capacity (two most popular
    > variants being 3 nuns and 3 cannibals, and farmer+goat+wolf+wheat).
    >
    > Then write a program D that solves this problem on its own; you'll need
    > to look into min-max algorithm.

    I meant, search algorithms. min-max is for program F.

    > Then write a program E that let's the user place dots and crosses on the
    > tic-tac-toe board.
    >
    > Then write a program F where the user plays tic-tac-toe against the
    > computer (since 3x3 tic-tac-toe is easily analyzed completely on paper
    > there's no real need to use e.g. min-max, but probably easiest to do).

    --
    A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
    Q: Why is it such a bad thing?

    Alf P. Steinbach, Nov 17, 2006
  8. Jim Langston Guest

    <> wrote in message

    > Jim Langston wrote:
    >> <> wrote in message
    >> >I was wondering if anyone knows how to write a tic tac toe game in c++?

    >> Yes.

    > I got to do this for a final in my C++ class and to be honest i'm
    > completely clueless. Could you please enlighten me?

    This is your final assignemtn and you're clueless? Didn't you do any of the
    homework the instructor gave you? I find it hard to believe that you could
    go through an entire class on c++ and not know how to do this.

    Can you display a tic tac toe board in C++? Write code to just display a
    tic tac toe board (without X's or O's).

    Okay, now you're going to need to put in X's, O's or blanks depending on...
    what? Hmm.. seems you're going to have to store the move for each square.
    Lets look at a tic tac toe board:

    | |
    -------
    | |
    -------
    | |

    It seems to be 3 by 3. How would you store in memory 3 elements by 3
    elements? There are a few ways (vector of vector, 9 variables, a 2d array).
    Decide which way you want to go (for something simple like this I might
    choose a simple 2d array, I.E. char Board[3][3]; Although you might want
    std::vector<std::vector<char> > Board; You decide. There is no "right"
    answer, though some may argue that a vector should always be used instead of
    a static array, I'm not one of them.

    Okay, now you have storage, intialize them to spaces.

    Now fill in some X's and O's in your array, and get them to print out in the
    board.

    Okay, so there are 3 things that programs do, Input, processing and output.
    So we have the output so far. Lets look at the input. Write a
    class/method/function/routine to accept a players move. You decide how the
    player picks a square. Common solutions are 1 thorugh 9, or 1,1 through
    3,3.

    But you'll need processing. Is the players move legal? Does it fall within
    bounds? Is there already a move there? Did the player win?

    Alternate players.

    Okay, once you're done, you have a tic tac toe game.

    Now you can go farther, have the player play against the computer.

    Show me code, when you get stuck ask.

    Jim Langston, Nov 17, 2006
  9. David Harmon Guest

    On 16 Nov 2006 19:33:30 -0800 in comp.lang.c++,
    wrote,
    >I got to do this for a final in my C++ class and to be honest i'm
    >completely clueless. Could you please enlighten me?

    How did you manage the previous assignments? Be advised that it's
    against policy in almost all online groups to do your work _for_ you.
    Show what you have got done so far. Describe where you are stuck.
    Ask _specific_ questions.

    This issue is covered in Marshall Cline's C++ FAQ. See the topic
    "# [5.2] How do I get other people to do my homework problem for me?"
    It is always good to check the FAQ before posting. You can get the FAQ
    at:
    http://www.parashift.com/c -faq-lite/

    See the welcome message posted twice per week in comp.lang.c++ under the
    subject "Welcome to comp.lang.c++! Read this first." or available at
    http://www.slack.net/~shiva/welcome.txt

    David Harmon, Nov 17, 2006
  10. VJ Guest

    Jeremy Jurksztowicz wrote:
    > No, sadly no one has yet been able to solve the so called 'tic-tac-toe'
    > paradox. Despite my best efforts during 12 years of research, I have
    > still not come up with a satisfactory solution. There is currently a
    > group of scientists at MIT, who claim to be close to a solution, you
    > may want to contact them at .
    >
    > On Nov 17, 10:16 am, wrote:
    >
    >>I was wondering if anyone knows how to write a tic tac toe game in c++?

    Invalid email address. You probably meant

    VJ, Nov 17, 2006
  11. red floyd Guest

    red floyd, Nov 17, 2006
  12. Marcus Kwok Guest

    Alf P. Steinbach <> wrote:
    > Then write a program E that let's the user place dots and crosses on the
    > tic-tac-toe board.
    >
    > Then write a program F where the user plays tic-tac-toe against the
    > computer (since 3x3 tic-tac-toe is easily analyzed completely on paper
    > there's no real need to use e.g. min-max, but probably easiest to do).

    Next write a program G: Global Thermonuclear War.

    --
    Marcus Kwok
    Replace 'invalid' with 'net' to reply

    Marcus Kwok, Nov 17, 2006
  13. Puppet_Sock Guest

    wrote:
    > Jim Langston wrote:
    > > <> wrote in message
    > > >I was wondering if anyone knows how to write a tic tac toe game in c++?

    > > Yes.

    > I got to do this for a final in my C++ class and to be honest i'm
    > completely clueless. Could you please enlighten me?

    Repeat after me:

    Want fries with that?

    Socks

    Puppet_Sock, Nov 17, 2006
  14. shabbir Guest

    I am not sure if you are still looking for a solution but I have
    written for you to download at

    http://www.go4expert.com/forums/showthread.php?t=353

    Thanks
    Shabbir

    shabbir, Nov 18, 2006

    You should be able to find a lot of information on it on the web. Try
    www.google.com e.g.

    , Nov 18, 2006