Writing to Favorites (IE) from aspnet

randy.buchholz

I would like to be able to build a set of folders and links in the browser
(IE 6+) "favorites" to create semi-static lists of links configured to the
users profile and preferences. I haven't worked with controling browsers so
I'm looking for a place to start. BTW - I'd like to keep as much server
side as possible. Thnx

randy.buchholz

Thought it might be an issue. I'm in a semi-closed environment, so limited
permission changes could be allowed. What about the route like the message
you get at the top of your browser pane that says "do you want to allow...".
Could that be used to open a hole to the browser oblects?

Eliyahu Goldin said:
I am pretty sure it is impossible without special security provisions on
client side. Imagine what can happen if any every will modify your
favorites as they wish.

--
Eliyahu Goldin,
Software Developer

randy.buchholz said:
I would like to be able to build a set of folders and links in the browser
(IE 6+) "favorites" to create semi-static lists of links configured to the
users profile and preferences. I haven't worked with controling browsers
so I'm looking for a place to start. BTW - I'd like to keep as much
server side as possible. Thnx

Eliyahu Goldin

Yes, it can be done with WSH (Windows Sripting Host) SpecialFolders.
Favorites is one of the special folders. Google for something like
"SpecialFolders wsh favorites" for more info.

All this, of course, is on client side. All server side can do is just to
emit the script text to the client. And you can ask the user to setup
security to allow running WSH scripts for your site with no prompt.

--

randy.buchholz said:
I would like to be able to build a set of folders and links in the
browser (IE 6+) "favorites" to create semi-static lists of links
configured to the users profile and preferences. I haven't worked with
controling browsers so I'm looking for a place to start. BTW - I'd like
to keep as much server side as possible. Thnx

randy.buchholz

Thanks, "Special Folders" brings up a few places to get started. This
should do what I need.