Wrong default encoding on Linux

Discussion in 'Java' started by Bernd Eggink, Sep 30, 2003.

  1. Bernd Eggink

    Bernd Eggink Guest

    I installed j2sdk1.4.2_01 on several Linux systems running SuSE 8.2.
    Normally the default file encoding is correctly set to "ISO-8859-1".
    On one system, however, the installation script assigns the value
    "ANSI_X3.4-1968" to this property, which causes nasty problems with
    german umlauts. I can't see any essential differences between this
    system and the others, although I guess there must be some. Any ideas
    what that could be?

    Otherwise, is it possible to change this setting permanently after
    installation?

    Regards,
    Bernd

    --
    Bernd Eggink
    Regionales Rechenzentrum der Uni Hamburg

    Bernd Eggink, Sep 30, 2003

  2. Bernd Eggink

    Juha Laiho Guest

    Bernd Eggink <-hamburg.de> said:
    >I installed j2sdk1.4.2_01 on several Linux systems running SuSE 8.2.
    >Normally the default file encoding is correctly set to "ISO-8859-1".
    >On one system, however, the installation script assigns the value
    >"ANSI_X3.4-1968" to this property, which causes nasty problems with
    >german umlauts. I can't see any essential differences between this
    >system and the others, although I guess there must be some. Any ideas
    >what that could be?

    Check the values of LC_CTYPE and LANG environment variables on
    both systems.
    --
    Wolf a.k.a. Juha Laiho Espoo, Finland

    Juha Laiho, Sep 30, 2003

  3. Bernd Eggink

    Bernd Eggink Guest

    Juha Laiho <> wrote:
    > Bernd Eggink <-hamburg.de> said:
    >>I installed j2sdk1.4.2_01 on several Linux systems running SuSE 8.2.
    >>Normally the default file encoding is correctly set to "ISO-8859-1".
    >>On one system, however, the installation script assigns the value
    >>"ANSI_X3.4-1968" to this property, which causes nasty problems with
    >>german umlauts. I can't see any essential differences between this
    >>system and the others, although I guess there must be some. Any ideas
    >>what that could be?

    > Check the values of LC_CTYPE and LANG environment variables on
    > both systems.

    Did that already, they are the same.

    Bernd

    Bernd Eggink, Sep 30, 2003
  4. Bernd Eggink

    Mac Guest

    On Tue, 30 Sep 2003 14:22:46 +0000, Bernd Eggink wrote:

    > I installed j2sdk1.4.2_01 on several Linux systems running SuSE 8.2.
    > Normally the default file encoding is correctly set to "ISO-8859-1".
    > On one system, however, the installation script assigns the value
    > "ANSI_X3.4-1968" to this property, which causes nasty problems with
    > german umlauts. I can't see any essential differences between this
    > system and the others, although I guess there must be some. Any ideas
    > what that could be?
    >
    > Otherwise, is it possible to change this setting permanently after
    > installation?
    >
    > Regards,
    > Bernd

    This may be more of a linux question than a java question. Maybe that one
    machine has different locale settings or something, and the jdk picks up on
    that either during the installation or at run time.

    Just a guess.

    Mac

    Mac, Oct 1, 2003
  5. Bernd Eggink

    Bernd Eggink Guest

    Re: Wrong default encoding on Linux - solved

    Mac <> wrote:
    > On Tue, 30 Sep 2003 14:22:46 +0000, Bernd Eggink wrote:

    >> I installed j2sdk1.4.2_01 on several Linux systems running SuSE 8.2.
    >> Normally the default file encoding is correctly set to "ISO-8859-1".
    >> On one system, however, the installation script assigns the value
    >> "ANSI_X3.4-1968" to this property, which causes nasty problems with
    >> german umlauts. I can't see any essential differences between this
    >> system and the others, although I guess there must be some. Any ideas
    >> what that could be?

    > This may be more of a linux question than a java question. Maybe that one
    > machine has different locale settings or something, and the jdk picks up on
    > that either during the installation or at run time.

    I found it at last. A library was missing (package 'glibc-locale').
    Everything is OK now.

    Bernd

    Bernd Eggink, Oct 3, 2003