Wrong default encoding on Linux

Bernd Eggink

I installed j2sdk1.4.2_01 on several Linux systems running SuSE 8.2.
Normally the default file encoding is correctly set to "ISO-8859-1".
On one system, however, the installation script assigns the value
"ANSI_X3.4-1968" to this property, which causes nasty problems with
german umlauts. I can't see any essential differences between this
system and the others, although I guess there must be some. Any ideas
what that could be?

Otherwise, is it possible to change this setting permanently after
installation?

Regards,
Bernd

Juha Laiho

Bernd Eggink said:
I installed j2sdk1.4.2_01 on several Linux systems running SuSE 8.2.
Normally the default file encoding is correctly set to "ISO-8859-1".
On one system, however, the installation script assigns the value
"ANSI_X3.4-1968" to this property, which causes nasty problems with
german umlauts. I can't see any essential differences between this
system and the others, although I guess there must be some. Any ideas
what that could be?

Check the values of LC_CTYPE and LANG environment variables on
both systems.

Mac

I installed j2sdk1.4.2_01 on several Linux systems running SuSE 8.2.
Normally the default file encoding is correctly set to "ISO-8859-1".
On one system, however, the installation script assigns the value
"ANSI_X3.4-1968" to this property, which causes nasty problems with
german umlauts. I can't see any essential differences between this
system and the others, although I guess there must be some. Any ideas
what that could be?

Otherwise, is it possible to change this setting permanently after
installation?

Regards,
Bernd

This may be more of a linux question than a java question. Maybe that one
machine has different locale settings or something, and the jdk picks up on
that either during the installation or at run time.

Just a guess.

Mac

Bernd Eggink

This may be more of a linux question than a java question. Maybe that one
machine has different locale settings or something, and the jdk picks up on
that either during the installation or at run time.

I found it at last. A library was missing (package 'glibc-locale').
Everything is OK now.

Bernd