Wrong directory encoding when building a windows setup from Linux

Discussion in 'Python' started by Benedict Verheyen, Jan 20, 2012.

  1. Hi,

    I have a suite of scripts that I develop on Debian Linux, python version 2.7.1 but the resulting server
    where the scripts are deployed to is Windows based.
    I struggled making my setup.py file include data I need for my testing suite, but in the
    end i succeeded by making a MANIFEST.in file containing "graft data" where data
    is the name of the directory containing my test data.

    Building an installable for Windows is easily done via python setup.py bdist_wininst
    So far so good; The data contains directories with non ascii characters like ø, é and so on.
    Checking the build/lib/mypackage/data reveals that the names are still correct on Linux.
    However, on Windows, the directory names aren't correct any more, the special chars
    are replaced with other weird chars.
    If I extract the .exe file on Windows using 7 zip, I can see that the directories in there are already wrong.

    How can I fix this?
    Is there a way to specify what encoding the directory names are using and how do I specify this in
    the setup.py script?

    Thanks,
    Regards,
    Benedict