    Pasting the url directly into the address bar, I get the video.

    So I switched the charset to windows-1252 and the validator was happy with
    that. Cleaned up the errors and all is well.
    richard, May 26, 2012

  2. 2012-05-26 11:05, richard wrote:

    > http://1littleworld.net/sample/tableAAA.html
    >
    > the w3.org validator says it can't check the file because of a noncompliant
    > utf-8 character? Ok. Care to tell me what that character is?
    > Oh yeah Ok, we will, but in code.
    >
    > The error was: utf8 "\x96" does not map to Unicode

    Since others have had similar problems (the issue has been discussed in
    the validator mailing list too, alas with no improvement in the message
    despite better suggestions), I will explain this a bit, or a few bytes.

    The error message is technically wrong. Anything in UTF-8 (this is the
    preferred MIME name for the encoding, and "utf8" isn't even an alias in
    MIME) "maps to Unicode", since UTF-8 is just a transfer encoding for
    Unicode.

    What the message is trying to say that in processing data assumed to be
    UTF-8 encoded, the byte 96 (hexadecimal) was encountered in a context
    where it may not appear according to the definition of UTF-8. That is,
    the data is in fact not UTF-8 encoded.

    It is meaningless to ask "what character", since the data contains a
    byte that does constitute the encoded form of a character (or the first
    byte of a multi-byte encoded form), in the encoding being applied.

    > So I switched the charset to windows-1252 and the validator was happy with
    > that. Cleaned up the errors and all is well.

    Well, that's rather common. So the problem was really that the data is
    not UTF-8 encoded. In windows-1252, the byte is well-defined: it is the
    EN DASH character, U+2013 in Unicode; see
    http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/goglobal/cc305145
    for a full table of windows-1252 (with Unicode equivalents).

    --
    Yucca, http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/
    Jukka K. Korpela, May 26, 2012

  3. richard

    richard Guest

    On Sat, 26 May 2012 15:48:58 +0300, Jukka K. Korpela wrote:

    > 2012-05-26 11:05, richard wrote:
    >
    >> http://1littleworld.net/sample/tableAAA.html
    >>
    >> the w3.org validator says it can't check the file because of a noncompliant
    >> utf-8 character? Ok. Care to tell me what that character is?
    >> Oh yeah Ok, we will, but in code.
    >>
    >> The error was: utf8 "\x96" does not map to Unicode

    > Since others have had similar problems (the issue has been discussed in
    > the validator mailing list too, alas with no improvement in the message
    > despite better suggestions), I will explain this a bit, or a few bytes.
    >
    > The error message is technically wrong. Anything in UTF-8 (this is the
    > preferred MIME name for the encoding, and "utf8" isn't even an alias in
    > MIME) "maps to Unicode", since UTF-8 is just a transfer encoding for
    > Unicode.
    >
    > What the message is trying to say that in processing data assumed to be
    > UTF-8 encoded, the byte 96 (hexadecimal) was encountered in a context
    > where it may not appear according to the definition of UTF-8. That is,
    > the data is in fact not UTF-8 encoded.
    >
    > It is meaningless to ask "what character", since the data contains a
    > byte that does constitute the encoded form of a character (or the first
    > byte of a multi-byte encoded form), in the encoding being applied.
    >
    >> So I switched the charset to windows-1252 and the validator was happy with
    >> that. Cleaned up the errors and all is well.

    > Well, that's rather common. So the problem was really that the data is
    > not UTF-8 encoded. In windows-1252, the byte is well-defined: it is the
    > EN DASH character, U+2013 in Unicode; see
    > http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/goglobal/cc305145
    > for a full table of windows-1252 (with Unicode equivalents).

    thanks for the info.
    richard, May 26, 2012
  4. richard

    cwdjrxyz Guest

    On May 26, 3:05 am, richard <> wrote:
    > http://1littleworld.net/sample/tableAAA.html
    >
    > the w3.org validator says it can't check the file because of a noncompliant
    > utf-8 character? Ok. Care to tell me what that character is?
    > Oh yeah Ok, we will, but in code.
    >
    > The error was: utf8 "\x96" does not map to Unicode
    >
    > I am having a problem understanding why a link works outside the loop of
    > things, but not in the loop.
    >
    > Scroll down and find "Jimmy McGriff" and then click on "M.G. Blues".
    > I get a new tab. Not the youtube video.
    > Pasting the url directly into the address bar, I get the video.
    >
    > So I switched the charset to windows-1252 and the validator was happy with
    > that. Cleaned up the errors and all is well.

    You have been given an accurate explanation of why you had this
    problem. It is not uncommon. I recently updated a faq page for a group
    from some text supplied on a Usenet group viewed on Google groups.
    There were dozens of utf8 errors . The errors concerned quotes,
    dashes, various characters used in French and German, etc. It did not
    take too long to correct the page once I know what characters were
    causing the problems. The problem may have been due to the original
    text written, by Usenet, by Google, or some combination of the three.
    Making the corrections took less time than typing in the complete text
    from paper copy would have, but it was no fun.
    cwdjrxyz, May 29, 2012
  5. richard

    cwdjrxyz Guest

    On May 29, 2:49 pm, cwdjrxyz <> wrote:
    > On May 26, 3:05 am, richard <> wrote:
    >

    > >http://1littleworld.net/sample/tableAAA.html

    > > the w3.org validator says it can't check the file because of a noncompliant
    > > utf-8 character? Ok. Care to tell me what that character is?
    > > Oh yeah Ok, we will, but in code.

    > > The error was: utf8 "\x96" does not map to Unicode

    > > I am having a problem understanding why a link works outside the loop of
    > > things, but not in the loop.

    > > Scroll down and find "Jimmy McGriff" and then click on "M.G. Blues".
    > > I get a new tab. Not the youtube video.
    > > Pasting the url directly into the address bar, I get the video.

    > > So I switched the charset to windows-1252 and the validator was happy with
    > > that. Cleaned up the errors and all is well.

    > You have been given an accurate explanation of why you had this
    > problem. It is not uncommon. I recently updated a faq page for a group
    > from some text supplied on a Usenet group viewed on Google groups.
    > There were dozens of utf8 errors . The errors concerned quotes,
    > dashes, various characters used in French and German, etc. It did not
    > take too long to correct the page once I know what characters were
    > causing the problems. The problem may have been due to the original
    > text written, by Usenet, by Google, or some combination of the three.
    > Making the corrections took less time than typing in the complete text
    > from paper copy would have, but it was no fun.

    I was using a xhtml 1.1 page properly served. Using a Firefox browser,
    the page will not display at all even if there is only one of the utf8
    errors of the type mentioned. A properly served xhtml page user an xml
    parser which is extremely strict. Other browsers may react to the
    errors in another way. For example, some will display the page to the
    point an xml error is made.
    cwdjrxyz, May 30, 2012
  6. richard

    idle Guest

    On Sat, 26 May 2012 04:05:59 -0400, richard wrote in alt.html:

    <snip>

    > wtf? does the validator want now?

    It wants you to stop putting this shit up on the web.

    --
    idle
    The only rules that really matter are these: what a man can do and what
    idle, May 30, 2012