wwwroot Question

Guest

If i create a new website must my home directory be in the inetpub\wwwroot ?
Because when i have it place somewhere else i can't open a web project using
Visual Studio .Net!
And is it possible to use different IP address on IIS for different websites?
Any ideas?

Jeff Dillon

Create virtual roots under wwwroot.

And yes, you can use different ip address.

jeff

Guest

Jeff thatnks for the reply!
But i have a Virtual wwwroot already!
What my problem is creating a web project with Visual Studio .Net!
If i set my home path directory for example to d:/wwww and try to create a
web project it gives me an ERROR!
And question relating to different IP addresses if i have different websites
with different IP addresses and i want to create a Web project using Visual
Studio it gives me an error saying the need to MAP TO THE SAME SERVER..
Hope this helps!

Scott Allen

Hi Patrick:

I've been able to put VS.NET projects anywhere on the local filesystem
as long as I precreate the virtual directory in IIS and point it to
where I want the project to be, then create the project in VS.NET.

Yes it is possible to use different IP addresses. I don't think XP
supports it, but Win2k and 2003 Server both support this. You'll need
to go to Web Site -> Advanced for the settings.
http://www.microsoft.com/resources/...roddocs/en-us/wsa_hmws_createmultsitesip.mspx

Guest

Hi Scott,
Can you explain how to "precreate the virtual directory in IIS and point
it to
where I want the project to be".
Woud read the article up thx.

Scott Allen

Yes, what I will do is create the physical directory on the filesystem
where I want the project, ie:

C:\dev\projects\NewWebProject

Then I'll go into the IIS MMC and create a new virtual directory
(NewWebProject) and point it to the above physical path. You can also
right click on the directory in explorer and go to the web sharing tab
and set up the vdir there.

With the vdir "pre-created", VS.NET will use that instead of creating
a vdir itself (which it always puts under inetpub\wwwroot). Create a
new project in VS.NET and give it http://localhost/NewWebProject as
the URL. The project should end up in the physical path above.

I believe the vdir name has to match the physical folder name for
VS.NET 2003. I also have VS.NET setup for file share web access by
default (Tools -> Options -> Projects -> Web Settings -> Preferred
access method). I think that is the default setting.

Guest

Thx mate