wxpython appearance differs after py2exe

Discussion in 'Python' started by Chad Haynes, Mar 5, 2004.

  1. Chad Haynes

    Chad Haynes Guest

    Chad Haynes, Mar 5, 2004

  2. Chad Haynes

    Jeff Duffy Guest

    Chad Haynes wrote:

    > Hello,
    >
    > I have a wxPython application that I want to create an executable from.
    > Using py2exe produces a program that works very well, but the
    > appearance is slightly different than when it was run from the command
    > line. The py2exe version is a little more bland. Here are links to
    > some screenshots:
    >
    > http://linkage.rockefeller.edu/chaynes/dos.jpg
    > http://linkage.rockefeller.edu/chaynes/py2exe.jpg
    >
    > I'm runnin winXP, any ideas?

    I've have the same problem. No solution yet (I'm still poking at it),
    but I noticed that the resultant GUI looks more like Win2K, as if
    perhaps the widget set that results is always in 'classic mode'. Odd.

    Jeff
    Jeff Duffy, Mar 5, 2004

  3. Chad Haynes

    Mike Rovner Guest

    Jeff Duffy wrote:
    > Chad Haynes wrote:
    >> I'm runnin winXP, any ideas?

    copy your .manifest file to a <new .exe name>.manifest

    HTH,
    Mike
    Mike Rovner, Mar 5, 2004
  4. Chad Haynes

    Ivan Voras Guest

    Ivan Voras, Mar 5, 2004
  5. Chad Haynes

    Neil Hodgson Guest

    Chad Haynes:

    > I have a wxPython application that I want to create an executable from.
    > Using py2exe produces a program that works very well, but the
    > appearance is slightly different than when it was run from the command
    > line. The py2exe version is a little more bland. Here are links to
    > some screenshots:

    To get the Windows XP look you have to include a manifest file or
    resource.

    Neil
    Neil Hodgson, Mar 5, 2004
  6. Chad Haynes <> writes:

    > Hello,
    >
    > I have a wxPython application that I want to create an executable
    > from. Using py2exe produces a program that works very well, but the
    > appearance is slightly different than when it was run from the command
    > line. The py2exe version is a little more bland. Here are links to
    > some screenshots:
    >
    > http://linkage.rockefeller.edu/chaynes/dos.jpg
    > http://linkage.rockefeller.edu/chaynes/py2exe.jpg
    >
    > I'm runnin winXP, any ideas?

    You have to provide a manifest file. This can be a separate file named
    <yourapp>.exe.manifest, but it can also be compiled as a resource into
    the exe file itself. The py2exe\samples\advanced directory demontrates
    how to do this.

    Thomas
    Thomas Heller, Mar 5, 2004
  7. Chad Haynes <>:

    >Hello,
    >
    >I have a wxPython application that I want to create an executable from.
    > Using py2exe produces a program that works very well, but the
    >appearance is slightly different than when it was run from the command
    >line. The py2exe version is a little more bland. Here are links to
    >some screenshots:
    >
    >http://linkage.rockefeller.edu/chaynes/dos.jpg
    >http://linkage.rockefeller.edu/chaynes/py2exe.jpg
    >
    >I'm runnin winXP, any ideas?

    I guess your program somehow lost its ability to use the current
    version of ComCtl32.dll. The visual style of the Windows XP controls is
    implemented in comctl32.dll version 6, which is not distributable. I
    just noticed that there is a python.exe.manifest and a
    pythonw.exe.manifest in in the python23 distro. Perhaps it is
    sufficient to copy one of these to your py2exe dist, renaming it to
    <app>.exe.manifest, on the way. Not having done anything with
    comctl32 et al for years, I'm just guessing here from an article I've
    read on MSDN. But I can't do any harm, so why not just trying it.

    --
    Thank you for observing all safety precautions
    Wolfgang Strobl, Mar 5, 2004
  8. Wolfgang Strobl <>:

    > [...] But I can't do any harm, so why not just trying it.

    Arg. But _it_ can't do any harm ... It's getting late, sorry.

    An afterthought: adding a <app>.manifest would make a nice addition to
    py2exe. I'd file a feature request on sourceforge, but, alas, it's
    working in read only mode, currently, if it answers at all.

    --
    Wir danken für die Beachtung aller Sicherheitsbestimmungen
    Wolfgang Strobl, Mar 6, 2004
  9. Chad Haynes

    Roger Binns Guest

    > > I'm runnin winXP, any ideas?

    You need to include the manifest file. This comes up on the wxpython-users
    mailing list once a week and there are full details in the archives.

    Briefly, copy python.exe.manifest from c:\python23 and place it
    alongside your executable, suitably renamed to the same name
    as your executable, with a further .manifest extension.

    Roger
    Roger Binns, Mar 6, 2004
  10. Chad Haynes

    Robert Guest

    Chad Haynes wrote:
    > Hello,
    >
    > I have a wxPython application that I want to create an executable from.
    > Using py2exe produces a program that works very well, but the
    > appearance is slightly different than when it was run from the command
    > line. The py2exe version is a little more bland. Here are links to
    > some screenshots:
    >
    > http://linkage.rockefeller.edu/chaynes/dos.jpg
    > http://linkage.rockefeller.edu/chaynes/py2exe.jpg
    >
    > I'm runnin winXP, any ideas?
    >
    > -Chad

    Here is a copy of the manifest I use with eclipse:

    <assembly xmlns="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:asm.v1" manifestVersion="1.0">
    <assemblyIdentity version="1.0.0.0" processorArchitecture="X86"
    name="SWT.javaw" type="win32"/>
    <description>Standard Widget Toolkit</description>
    <dependency>
    <dependentAssembly>
    <assemblyIdentity type="win32"
    name="Microsoft.Windows.Common-Controls" version="6.0.0.0"
    processorArchitecture="X86" publicKeyToken="6595b64144ccf1df" language="*"/>
    </dependentAssembly>
    </dependency>
    </assembly>
    Robert, Mar 6, 2004