wxPython vs Glade?

Michael Pobega

I'm looking for opinions on the best toolkit for a beginner to use with
wxPython. It doesn't necessarily need to be the most efficient toolkit,
but something I can use for basic programs (a Twitter client, Wordpress
blogging client, etc) just to learn Python.

wxWidgets seems nice because it's portable, but I'm not sure how many of
my libraries are portable (a lot of them seem to import os), while Glade
seems extremely simple to make a UI (but does the program end up relying
on Glade? Or can I build it directly into GTK+?)

--
http://pobega.wordpress.com
http://identica/pobega

Bruno Desthuilliers

Michael Pobega a écrit :
I'm looking for opinions on the best toolkit for a beginner to use with
wxPython.

wxPython *is* a GUI toolkit (or, more exactly, a python binding for
wxWidgets).
wxWidgets seems nice because it's portable, but I'm not sure how many of
my libraries are portable (a lot of them seem to import os), while Glade
seems extremely simple to make a UI

Glade is a (graphical) GUI *builder* for the GTK+ toolkit - it' not a
toolkit itself. So you're comparing apples to gorillas.

FWIW, there is (was ???) a Glade-like graphical builder for wxWidgets
named wxGlade.

Mike Driscoll

I'm looking for opinions on the best toolkit for a beginner to use with
wxPython. It doesn't necessarily need to be the most efficient toolkit,
but something I can use for basic programs (a Twitter client, Wordpress
blogging client, etc) just to learn Python.

wxWidgets seems nice because it's portable, but I'm not sure how many of
my libraries are portable (a lot of them seem to import os), while Glade
seems extremely simple to make a UI (but does the program end up relying
on Glade? Or can I build it directly into GTK+?)

--
                 http://pobega.wordpress.com
                   http://identica/pobega

 signature.asc
< 1KViewDownload

I usually just hand-code my apps in IDLE or Wing IDE. I recommend
though as you'll likely pick up a LOT of helpful tips and tricks
there.

Mike