Xcopy deployment drops user connections

Matt Anderson

When I use Xcopy to deploy my changes to IIS, it seems to drop the
user connections; i.e., empties out their Session variables, etc. I
thought ASP.NET was supposed to use shadow deployment and gracefully
have new connections use the new code, while the old code is cached
for current connections.

Anyone?

S. Justin Gengo

Matt,

It does if you don't change two files: the global.asax and the web.config
file.

You could for example change one .aspx page, compile, deploy that .aspx page
and the application's main .dll file and the transition would be flawless.
But if you xcopy everything the server restarts sessions. Another solution
would be to switch session state over to the database or a session server.

Sincerely,

--
S. Justin Gengo, MCP
Web Developer

Free code library at:
www.aboutfortunate.com

"Out of chaos comes order."
Nietzche

S. Justin Gengo

Thanks Marina!

Am I correct though that if the sessions are set to run from the database
this wouldn't occurr?

Sincerely,

--
S. Justin Gengo, MCP