XHTML Basic / targets

Discussion in 'HTML' started by sirboom, Feb 22, 2006.

  1. sirboom

    sirboom Guest

    I'm looking to develop an XHTML Basic web site specifically intended to work
    on mobile / handheld devices. I foresee no problem with doing that, except
    for one specific necessity that does not seem to be addressed. I need to
    send commands to the server through a URL when the user clicks an image,
    button, etc.

    To my knowledge, there are several ways to do this in traditional HTML.
    1. Create a frameset (with one frame set to a height of zero to be
    invisible), or iframe. <a href="http://example.com/cgi?do=action"
    target="zeroframe"> would easily do that.
    2. Use javascript to send the command. var z = new Image(0,0); z.src =
    "http://example.com/cgi?do=action"

    Neither of these techniques seem to be possible in XHTML Basic, as
    javascript is not something one should rely on with a mobile device, and it
    specifically says frames are not part of it.

    I understand that it is intended to be a modular specification, but is there
    any way to perform this action while still remaining within the confines of
    XHTML Basic?

    Thank you for your time,

    -- Mike

    sirboom, Feb 22, 2006

  2. sirboom

    Toby Inkster Guest

    sirboom wrote:

    > I'm looking to develop an XHTML Basic web site specifically intended to work
    > on mobile / handheld devices. I foresee no problem with doing that, except
    > for one specific necessity that does not seem to be addressed. I need to
    > send commands to the server through a URL when the user clicks an image,
    > button, etc.

    Use a link / use a form:

    <form action="http://example.com/cgi">
    <input type="hidden" name="do" value="action" />
    <input type="submit" />
    </form>

    --
    Toby A Inkster BSc (Hons) ARCS