XHTML Basic / targets

sirboom

I'm looking to develop an XHTML Basic web site specifically intended to work
on mobile / handheld devices. I foresee no problem with doing that, except
for one specific necessity that does not seem to be addressed. I need to
send commands to the server through a URL when the user clicks an image,
button, etc.

To my knowledge, there are several ways to do this in traditional HTML.
1. Create a frameset (with one frame set to a height of zero to be
invisible), or iframe. <a href="http://example.com/cgi?do=action"
target="zeroframe"> would easily do that.
2. Use javascript to send the command. var z = new Image(0,0); z.src =
"http://example.com/cgi?do=action"

Neither of these techniques seem to be possible in XHTML Basic, as
javascript is not something one should rely on with a mobile device, and it
specifically says frames are not part of it.

I understand that it is intended to be a modular specification, but is there
any way to perform this action while still remaining within the confines of
XHTML Basic?

Thank you for your time,

-- Mike

Toby Inkster

sirboom said:
I'm looking to develop an XHTML Basic web site specifically intended to work
on mobile / handheld devices. I foresee no problem with doing that, except
for one specific necessity that does not seem to be addressed. I need to
send commands to the server through a URL when the user clicks an image,
button, etc.

Use a link / use a form:

<form action="http://example.com/cgi">
<input type="hidden" name="do" value="action" />
<input type="submit" />
</form>