XHTML to PDF

Discussion in 'XML' started by s e a n h a r r i s o n, Jul 24, 2003.

  1. Hi,

    After having read many articles on XML transformations (eg.
    http://www-106.ibm.com/developerworks/education/transforming-xml/xmltopdf/index.html
    ), I'm a believer. Given an XML document and the appropriate XSL style
    sheet on can perform transformations at will to multiple channels.
    Excellent.

    We are rebuilding our website from the ground up. A good opportunity
    to adopt XHTML as well as improve the document mangement and
    publishing processes throughout our organization. Having read about
    the benefits of XML publishing processes and written some simple apps
    using java and xml, I'm ready to put this into practice. From what I
    understand, if our web documents are XHTML compliant I should be able
    to apply a style sheet and perform transformations on our web pages
    direct to PDF using the FOP classes. Is this right?

    If so, it seems rather obvious that there should be XSLs out there
    that facilitate the transformation of XHTML strict to XSL-FO to PDF.
    (I'm not the only one who wants to publish to web and pdf.) But when I
    search around I'm not seeing many. Where are these XSLs for XHTML?

    What would really be slick is a custom jsp tag library that provides a
    link to perform XHTML-to-PDF transform on-the-fly. I'm not finding any
    at jakarta or anywhere else. Why not? If the FOP java classes are
    available in combination with the proper XSL, it seems like an obvious
    project. Is there a layer of complexity that I'm missing here that
    thus prevents the application of these technologies?

    Thanks!!
    s e a n h a r r i s o n, Jul 24, 2003