XHTML2.0

Discussion in 'XML' started by guitar.is.good@gmail.com, Feb 5, 2006.

    I have done a fair bit of personal web design in XHTML 1.0/1.1 strict
    and am very curious about XHTML2.0.

    I have a couple quick questions I hope some people may be able to
    answer for me as I am strugelling to find answers elsewhere.

    To my understanding it is still in draft, but is it actually in use? I
    found one page, but it was not properly done.

    Ultimately I want to design a simple XHTML2.0 webpage for a LAN running
    on the current apache2 webserver. But I can not figure out how to code
    an XHTML2.0 page. The actual content seems fairly standard, but the
    doctypes etc I can not get to validate on the w3c validator. It
    especially gives my gumpf about mime types, but I dont know haw to
    solve it (I read xhtml2.0 needs an special xml type mime type)

    So far I have:

    "http://www.w3.org/MarkUp/DTD/xhtml2.dtd">

    <head>
    <title>Tester Page</title>
    <link rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" href="./css/default.css" />
    </head>
    <section>
    <h>Test Page</h>
    </section>

    I read in wiki I think that something like this also needs to be done,
    not sure tho.

    xsi:schemaLocation="http://www.w3.org/2002/06/xhtml2/
    http://www.w3.org/MarkUp/SCHEMA/xhtml2.xsd">

    Is it feasable to code a website in XHTML2.0, ignoring compatability
    issues (I heard mozilla firefox is the only browser compatible, this is
    only some localhost type webpage)

    Something I really like the look of in XHTML2.0 is the section + h
    elements and the ability to put link / href attributes in any element,
    makes much more sense!

    Thanks for any help.
    , Feb 5, 2006

  2. wrote:

    > I have done a fair bit of personal web design in XHTML 1.0/1.1 strict

    Quite useful for authoring content in, but not all that suitable for use on
    the WWW (the handwaving of Appendix C for XHTML 1.0 is silly at best (and
    depends on bugs in HTML 4 user agents), and doesn't apply to 1.1 at all)

    > and am very curious about XHTML2.0.

    > To my understanding it is still in draft, but is it actually in use?

    I seem to recall one person experimenting with it and transforming it with
    client side XSLT. It really is not something you should be using on the WWW
    at the moment.

    > Ultimately I want to design a simple XHTML2.0 webpage for a LAN running
    > on the current apache2 webserver. But I can not figure out how to code
    > an XHTML2.0 page.

    XHTML 2.0 is still subject to change. It isn't supported, AFAIK, by any user
    agent except as generic XML.

    > The actual content seems fairly standard, but the
    > doctypes etc I can not get to validate on the w3c validator.

    From the latest draft:

    This version includes an early implementation of XHTML 2.0 in RELAX NG
    [RELAXNG], but does not include the implementations in DTD or XML
    Schema form.

    So any DTD you might find is out of date.

    > It especially gives my gumpf about mime types, but I dont know haw to
    > solve it (I read xhtml2.0 needs an special xml type mime type)

    I believe that you use the regular XHTML content type, with a parameter
    specifying a version. I don't think the syntax of that parameter has been
    defined yet (other then being in the standard form for HTTP).

    > Is it feasable to code a website in XHTML2.0

    No.

    > , ignoring compatability issues (I heard mozilla firefox is the only
    > browser compatible

    I'm pretty sure it isn't.

    > Something I really like the look of in XHTML2.0 is the section + h
    > elements and the ability to put link / href attributes in any element,
    > makes much more sense!

    It is nice syntax for authoring, client support is absent at present. Treat
    some draft of XHTML 2.0 (or a subset of same) as a custom XML format. Write
    your own schema. Transform it to HTML 4.01 before serving to to clients.

    Home is where the ~/.bashrc is
    David Dorward, Feb 5, 2006

    Thanks for your reply, it seems you have confirmed my suspisions :(

    Thanks again :)
    , Feb 6, 2006
  4. CyberVerse

    Joined:
    May 27, 2012
    Messages:
    1
    XHTML2.0 DTD Download here

    I have seen post before and I know it is old, but afterwards during my search on the web last year I found this Article on the XHTML2.dtd. However, a return to find it has lead me here again and this time I am going to provide my findings. Hope this helps those who want an XHTML2.dtd.

    At VelocityReviews.com the author, KEITH, posted this article on XHTML2.DTD and has provided a DTD for download. I hope this is helpful. The W3C xhtml2.dtd is lacking/not complete.

    Here is the Article on the XHTML2.DTD and the Download Link for the XHTML2.dtd download provided by the author.

    Article
    http://zooplah.farvista.net/b2e/en.php/2011/08/16/xhtml-2-0-dtd-1

    XHTML2.DTD Download
    http://zooplah.farvista.net/en/archive/DTD/xhtml2.dtd