XML and ASP

Discussion in 'ASP General' started by John Smith, Mar 24, 2007.

  1. John Smith

    John Smith Guest

    Hi,

    I'm trying to read a moreover news feed and then store that information in a
    database. The problem that I am having is with reading the feed from the
    script. Is this the correct way to read a feed over http rather than an XML
    file ? Is there an easier way to handle dumping XML info directly into a
    database ?

    Thanks,

    Script :

    Dim strtitle,strlink,strdescription,strguid,strpubDate,strsource
    Dim xml,xmlURL
    xmlURL="http://p.moreover.com/cgi-local/page?o=rss002&c=UK%20immigration%20news"
    Set xml = Server.CreateObject("Microsoft.XMLDOM")
    xml.setProperty "ServerHTTPRequest", true
    xml.async = False
    xml.load (xmlURL)
    Dim NodeList
    Set NodeList = xml.documentElement.selectNodes("item")
    Dim Node
    For Each Node In NodeList
    strtitle = Node.selectSingleNode("title").Text
    strlink = Node.selectSingleNode("link").Text
    strdescription = Node.selectSingleNode("description").Text
    strguid = Node.selectSingleNode("guid").Text
    strpubDate = Node.selectSingleNode("pubDate").Text
    strsource = Node.selectSingleNode("source").Text
    Next

    'See if anything was read properly

    Response.Write(strtitle)

    XML layout from feed :

    <rss version="2.0">
    <channel>
    <title>
    Moreover Technologies
    </title>
    <link>http://www.moreover.com/rss</link>
    <description>
    Moreover Technologies
    </description>
    <language>en-us</language>
    <image>
    <title>Moreover Technologies</title>
    <url>http://i.moreover.com/pics/rss.gif</url>
    <link>http://www.moreover.com/rss</link>
    <width>144</width>
    <height>16</height>
    <description>
    Moreover Technologies
    </description>
    </image>
    <item>
    <title>Sponsored Link</title>
    <link>
    http://www.lalala.com
    </link>
    <description>
    Ad - Over 85 locations and online programs available. Request free info.
    </description>
    <guid isPermaLink="false">ad20070323120000</guid>
    <pubDate>Fri, 23 Mar 2007 14:31:00 GMT</pubDate>
    </item>
    </channel>
    </rss>

    John Smith, Mar 24, 2007

  2. John Smith

    michal Guest

    hi john, are you still strugling with getting the feed to work? i have
    written a class which reads feeds .. just let me know if you still
    need it.

    michal, Mar 28, 2007