XML diff

cdvr

I have to find or write some code to perfrom a diff between two XML
files. In particular they will most likely be RSS feeds, where the
first time viewing a feed I'd get the whole RSS XML, but on additional
viewings of a the same feed I would only get/store the difference from
the first time.

Anyways, I have found a few samples that do a diff on XML files (or
just any text file)....but they only display the lines that change,
they don't say what part of a line has changed. Just curious if
anyone has a solution or knows of any before I work on re-creating the
wheel :)

thanks

Sideswipe

I ran into this exact situation before. I was trying to create a test
case for validating an XML Serialization engine. Problems to consider:
Is Tag order important to "equality"? If it is, then the tag's have to
be ordered and you have to define the ordering on them. You should
still sort them to make defining equality simpler. Oh, and don't
forget the numerous subelements to invoke "equality" on as it defines
your own.

It can be done, but I haven't found an automated way to compare them
in a "smart" way like this.

Christian Bongiorno
http://christian.bongiorno.org