XML Document Node Names

Dante

Hello. I have a Javascript that gets data from an XML document and
displays it through javascript. The problem is that when I do
dcfile.getElementsByTagName("subhead")[0].firstChild.nodeName
all I get is #text. Can you tell me why?

Here is my code:
/*
The Dante-Cubed Standardized Markup Language Javascript API