XML doubts please reply

Discussion in 'XML' started by shaji a, Aug 14, 2009.

  1. shaji a

    shaji a Guest

    i hve one doubt i will explain below.

    we have to devolop a literatures database. i need to include varoius
    features like search by author,search title,
    search by publication year etc:-

    so what we noramlly doing is first store all the literature details to
    datbase(it includes foolwing
    information like author(Au),title(TI),abstract(
    Ab) ,published year etc-:
    in order to store the these information we need to create one
    literature entry form...and store the details via form...
    this method is possible... it is very tedoius since we have around 6000
    literaturees are there.

    so is there any other method?

    we are downloding these literatures from some external websites...all
    the literatures are in the same format
    ..i am aading the litertures record format(attachement) below...please
    check that ...

    [in that attached file TI:means title AU means author AB:abstract
    KW means Keywords PY means publication year
    etc:

    please check that records...and suggest any new methods.
    can we convert it into xml directly?

    literture format

    Record: 1

    TI- A Survey of Phytophthora Species on Hainan Island of South China.
    AU- Hui-cai Zeng1
    AU- Hon-hing Ho2
    AU- Fuy-Cong Zheng3
    JN- Journal of Phytopathology
    PD- Jan2009, Vol. 157 Issue 1, p33-39
    PG- 7p
    DT- 20090101
    PT- Article
    AB- During the period 1997–2007, a comprehensive study of the occurrence
    and distribution of Phytophthora species was conducted on Hainan Island
    of South China. To date, 14 species of Phytophthora have been recovered
    and their distribution determined. Phytophthora nicotianae ( =P.
    parasitica) is the most important species attacking a wide variety of
    crops, followed by Phytophthora capsici and Phytophthora citrophthora.
    In contrast to Phytophthora colocasiae attacking taro leaves throughout
    the entire island, Phytophthora cyperi was found only once on Digitaria
    ciliaris in Danzhou. It is of interest to note that Phytophthora heveae,
    Phytophthora katsurae and Phytophthora insolita are commonly found in
    forest soil/water of protected mountains without causing any plant
    diseases. Although Phytophthora species are usually terrestrial or found
    in fresh water, one isolate of Phytophthora resembling closely the
    asexual isolates of P. insolita in Hainan was obtained from decaying
    Rhizophora leaves submerged in seawater. An unidentified Phytophthora
    species producing non-papillate; internally proliferating sporangia was
    isolated from the soil in which Ceriops tagel and Bruguiera serangula
    were growing in a salt water shrimp farm. [ABSTRACT FROM AUTHOR]
    AB- Copyright of Journal of Phytopathology is the property of Blackwell
    Publishing Limited and its content may not be copied or emailed to
    multiple sites or posted to a listserv without the copyright holder's
    express written permission. However, users may print, download, or email
    articles for individual use. This abstract may be abridged. No warranty
    is given about the accuracy of the copy. Users should refer to the
    original published version of the material for the full abstract.
    (Copyright applies to all Abstracts.)
    DE- PHYTOPHTHORA
    DE- CROPS
    DE- PLANTS -- Wounds & injuries
    DE- PLANT quarantine
    GE- HAINAN Island (China)
    GE- CHINA
    KW- marine isolates
    KW- Phytophthora capsici
    KW- Phytophthora cinnamomi
    KW- Phytophthora citrophthora
    KW- Phytophthora heveae
    KW- Phytophthora insolita
    KW- Phytophthora katsurae
    KW- Phytophthora nicotianae
    AD- 1The Institute of Bioscience and Biotechnology, Chinese Academy of
    Tropical Agricultural Sciences, Haikou 571101, Hainan, China
    AD- 2Department of Biology, State University of New York, New Paltz, New
    York 12561, USA
    AD- 3College of Environment and Plant Protection, Hainan University,
    Baodoa Xincun, Danzhou City, Hainan 571737, China
    IS- 09311785
    DI- 10.1111/j.1439-0434.2008.01441.x
    AN- 35655828
    UR-
    http://search.ebscohost.com/login.aspx?direct=true&db=a9h&AN=35655828&si
    te=ehost-live
    UR-
    http://search.ebscohost.com/login.aspx?direct=true&db=a9h&AN=35655828&si
    te=ehost-live

    Record: 2

    TI- Effects of Some Plant Materials on Phytophthora Blight (Phytophthora
    capsiciLeon.) of Pepper.
    AT- Bazi Bitkisel Materyallerin Biberde Phytophthora Yanikligi (
    Phytophthora capsici Leon.)'na Etkileri.
    AU- Dem?rc?, Fikret1
    AU- Dolar, F. Sara1
    JN- Turkish Journal of Agriculture & Forestry
    PD- 2006, Vol. 30 Issue 4, p247-252
    PG- 6p
    DT- 20060801
    PT- Article
    AB- Effects of dried garlic, peppermint, cabbage, lentil, alfalfa,
    onion, radish, and garden cress plant materials on Phytophthora blight
    (Phytophthora capsici Leon.) of pepper were determined, in both in vitro
    and in vivo conditions. Extracts of the plant materials were used in
    vitro. The plant materials were extracted in ethanol and were added to
    corn meal agar (CMA) at 5 and 10 µg ml<sup>-1</sup>. The extracts of
    alfalfa, garlic, cabbage, and peppermint reduced colony diameter of P.
    capsicion corn meal agar between 3.46% and 13.73%, whereas mycelial
    growth of P. capsici was increased by onion, radish, garden cress, and
    lentil extracts. The plant materials inhibitory to mycelial growth of P.
    capsici were incorporated into soil inoculated with P. capsici, in pots
    and also in the field, in order to determine their effects on
    Phytophthora blight severity. The severity of Phytophthora blight of
    pepper was markedly reduced by cabbage, garlic, and alfalfa materials by
    15.3%, 39.8% and 46.9%, respectively, in pot trials. No significant
    effect of peppermint on disease severity was found. In the field
    infested with P. capsici, disease severity decreased with cabbage,
    garlic, and alfalfa by 89.5%, 40%, and 10.7%, respectively. Peppermint
    slightly increased the disease severity (3.4%). In this study, dry
    cabbage, garlic, and alfalfa materials were effective in reducing the
    severity of disease caused by P. capsici, in both in vitro and in vivo
    conditions. (English) [ABSTRACT FROM AUTHOR]
    AB- Kurutulmus sar?msak, nane, lahana, mercimek, yonca, sogan, turp ve
    tere bitki art?klar?n?n biberde Phytophthora yan?kl?g? (Phytophthora
    capsici Leon.)'na etkileri in vitro ve in vivo kosullarda
    belirlenmistir, in vitro kosullardaki çal?smalarda bitki materyallerinin
    ekstraktlar? kullan?lm?st?r. Bitki materyalleri etil alkolde ekstrakte
    edilmis ve m?s?r unu agara 5 ve 10 ug mi4 dozlar?nda ilave edilmistir.
    Yonca, sar?msak, lahana ve nane, P. capsici misel gelisimini % 3.46 ila
    % 13.73 oran?nda azalt?rken, sogan, turp, tere ve mercimek ekstraktlar?,
    misel gelisimini art?rm?st?r. P. capsici nin misel gelisimine
    engelleyici etkisi olan bitki materyalleri, biberde Phytophthora
    yan?kl?g? hastal?g?n?n siddetine etkilerinin belirlenmesi amac?yla,
    içinde P. capsici ile inokule edilmis toprak bulunan saks?lara ve tarla
    toprag?na ilave edilmistir. Saks? denemelerinde lahana, sar?msak ve
    yonca art?klar? biberde Phytophthora yan?kl?g? hastal?g?n?n siddetini
    s?ras?yla %15.3, %39.8 ve %46.9 oran?nda azaltm?st?r. Nanenin ise
    hastal?k siddetine önemli bir etkisi olmam?st?r. Tarla kosullar?nda
    lahana, sar?msak ve yonca P. capsici nin hastal?k siddetini s?ras?yla
    %89.5, % 40 ve %10.7 oran?nda azaltm?s, nane ise %3.4 oran?nda
    art?rm?st?r. Bu çal?smada kuru lahana, sar?msak ve yonca materyalleri in
    vitro ve in vivo kosullarda P. capsici ye kars? etkili bulunmustur
    (Turkish) [ABSTRACT FROM AUTHOR]
    AB- Copyright of Turkish Journal of Agriculture & Forestry is the
    property of Scientific and Technical Research Council of Turkey and its
    content may not be copied or emailed to multiple sites or posted to a
    listserv without the copyright holder's express written permission.
    However, users may print, download, or email articles for individual
    use. This abstract may be abridged. No warranty is given about the
    accuracy of the copy. Users should refer to the original published
    version of the material for the full abstract. (Copyright applies to all
    Abstracts.)
    DE- PHYTOPHTHORA diseases
    DE- FUNGAL diseases of plants
    DE- GARLIC
    DE- ALFALFA
    SU- PEPPERMINT
    KW- pepper
    KW- Phytophthora capsici
    KW- Phytophthorablight
    KW- plant materials
    KW- biber
    KW- bitkisel materyaller
    KW- Phytophthora capsici
    KW- Phytophthora yan?kl?g?
    LK- English; Turkish
    AD- 1University of Ankara, Faculty of Agriculture, Plant Protection
    Department, Ankara -- Turkey
    IS- 1300011X
    AN- 22865585
    UR-
    http://search.ebscohost.com/login.aspx?direct=true&db=a9h&AN=22865585&si
    te=ehost-live
    UR-
    http://search.ebscohost.com/login.aspx?direct=true&db=a9h&AN=22865585&si
    te=ehost-live

    Record: 3

    TI- Single-strand-conformation polymorphism of ribosomal DNA for rapid
    species differentiation in genus Phytophthora.
    AU- Kong, Ping1
    AU- Hong, Chuanxue1
    AU- Richardson, Patricia A.1
    AU- Gallegly, Mannon E.2
    JN- Fungal Genetics & Biology
    PD- Aug2003, Vol. 39 Issue 3, p238
    PG- 12p
    DT- 20030801
    PT- Article
    AB- Single-strand-conformation polymorphism (SSCP) of ribosomal DNA of
    29 species (282 isolates) of Phytophthora was characterized in this
    study. Phytophthora boehmeriae, Phytophthora botryosa, Phytophthora
    cactorum, Phytophthora cambivora, Phytophthora capsici, Phytophthora
    cinnamomi, Phytophthora colocasiae, Phytophthora fragariae, Phytophthora
    heveae, Phytophthora hibernalis, Phytophthora ilicis, Phytophthora
    infestans, Phytophthora katsurae, Phytophthora lateralis, Phytophthora
    meadii, Phytophthora medicaginis, Phytophthora megakarya, Phytophthora
    nicotianae, Phytophthora palmivora, Phytophthora phaseoli, Phytophthora
    pseudotsugae, Phytophthora sojae, Phytophthora syringae, and
    Phytophthora tropicalis each showed a unique SSCP pattern. Phytophthora
    citricola, Phytophthora citrophthora, Phytophthora cryptogea,
    Phytophthora drechsleri, and Phytophthora megasperma each had more than
    one distinct pattern. A single-stranded DNA ladder also was developed,
    which facilitates comparison of SSCP patterns within and between gels.
    With a single DNA fingerprint, 277 isolates of Phytophthora recovered
    from irrigation water and plant tissues in Virginia were all correctly
    identified into eight species at substantially reduced time, labor, and
    cost. The SSCP analysis presented in this work will aid in studies on
    taxonomy, genetics, and ecology of the genus Phytophthora. [Copyright
    2003 Elsevier]
    AB- Copyright of Fungal Genetics & Biology is the property of Academic
    Press Inc. and its content may not be copied or emailed to multiple
    sites or posted to a listserv without the copyright holder's express
    written permission. However, users may print, download, or email
    articles for individual use. This abstract may be abridged. No warranty
    is given about the accuracy of the copy. Users should refer to the
    original published version of the material for the full abstract.
    (Copyright applies to all Abstracts.)
    DE- CHROMOSOME polymorphism
    DE- TAXONOMY
    DE- PHYTOPHTHORA
    KW- DNA fingerprinting
    KW- Genetics
    KW- Identification
    KW- ITS
    KW- Phytophthora
    KW- SSCP
    KW- Taxonomy
    AD- 1Department of Plant Pathology, Physiology and Weed Sciences,
    Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University, Hampton Roads
    Agricultural Research and Extension Center, 1444 Diamond Springs Road,
    Virginia Beach, VA 23455, USA
    AD- 2Division of Plant and Soil Sciences, West Virginia University,
    Morgantown, WV 26506, USA
    IS- 10871845
    DI- 10.1016/S1087-1845(03)00052-5
    AN- 10353044
    UR-
    http://search.ebscohost.com/login.aspx?direct=true&db=a9h&AN=10353044&si
    te=ehost-live
    UR-
    http://search.ebscohost.com/login.aspx?direct=true&db=a9h&AN=10353044&si
    te=ehost-live

    please reply

    shaji a, Aug 14, 2009

  2. shaji a wrote:
    > in order to store the these information we need to create one
    > literature entry form...and store the details via form...
    > this method is possible... it is very tedoius since we have around 6000
    > literaturees are there.

    If you already have the information in machine-readable form, I would
    recommend writing code to read that form, and use that to drive one of
    the standard XML APIs (DOM or SAX) to produce an XML equivalent.
    Joe Kesselman, Aug 14, 2009

  3. BTW, please see the thread "convert text documents to XML" starting on
    8/3. That appears to be someone processing exactly the same kind of
    document you're interested in. Maybe you can persuade them to share or
    sell their code.
    Joe Kesselman, Aug 14, 2009