    can anybody tell me the reason behind using XML in web.config
    file..........its realy urgent ...
    thank u ...........
    rahulganta, Sep 25, 2008

  2. rahulganta

    Scott M. Guest

    Well, the answer is the same for that quesiton as it is for the question
    "Why is XML useful at all?".

    XML is a text-bassed format, which is advantagous for many reasons: it can
    be read & written to on any platform and is non-proprietary and it poses no
    security threat (via execution) and can be passed through firewalls.

    A configuration file is nothing more than a file that holds "settings" for
    some applicaiton. In the Windows 3.1 days, .ini files were used for storing
    configuration data. But, .ini files lacked a particular structure. XML is
    all about document structure, and so, it has become a very popular format
    for configuration and settinngs files.

    -Scott

    Scott M., Sep 25, 2008

  3. rahulganta