XML Newbie - C structures

Discussion in 'XML' started by bigbiker71@hotmail.com, Dec 26, 2003.

  1. Guest

    I'm a long-time C/C++ programmer and I (and the company I work for) am just
    getting started with XML. All I need is just a little help to get me
    started. I've briefly looked at the samples supplied with the Xerces C++
    library and I think I can get started from there, but what I really want to
    do is use Xerces C++ or whatever else I need to read an XML file (created
    from a group in another part of the company) into a buffer and populate a
    C++ structure from the XML data. This data structure is then passed on for
    further processing by other components.

    If XSL can do all this, I'd like to know how and where I can find the book
    or documentation. I'm kinda in a hurry to this because our development
    group at work is just getting introduced to this and I would like to lead
    this effort, hopefully down the right path.

    In some cases, the XML tag is the same name as the field name in the C
    structure, in another case, the XML tag is a business term which must be
    translated into a field name. The XML document is primarily made up of a
    sequence of simple elements, like <name>value</name>. There will also be
    some nested groups of various types which look like <group><name1>value1
    </name1><name2>value2</name2></group>.

    I would appreciate any help in finding information on these subjects using
    real world examples from start to finish. In other words, it's not enough
    to just show the XML document and presto-changeo here's the C structure. I
    want to see how it is transformed, What do I execute in order to make this
    transformation happen? TIA

    , Dec 26, 2003

  2. Sean Bright Guest

    wrote:
    > If XSL can do all this, I'd like to know how and where I can find the book

    You can't do this with XSL alone. You could use XSL to transform your
    XML into a format that you could more easily read into a struct, but
    you'd be better off just using the DOM directly and building your struct
    manually. The Xerces documentation should be more than sufficient to
    help you with this.

    Good luck,
    Sean

    Sean Bright, Dec 30, 2003

  3. wrote in message news:<Xns945D60EABD21Bmk@65.32.1.8>...
    > I would appreciate any help in finding information on these subjects using
    > real world examples from start to finish. In other words, it's not enough
    > to just show the XML document and presto-changeo here's the C structure. I
    > want to see how it is transformed, What do I execute in order to make this
    > transformation happen? TIA

    Have a look at the code examples and tutorial provided with libxml2
    (www.libxml.org).

    - Finnbarr

    Finnbarr P. Murphy, Dec 31, 2003