    variable. Does this make sense to do this?

    Thanks,

    Scott......

    scottc, Jan 5, 2005

  2. scottc wrote:

    > I'm new to xml and have a question about how to use it. I have an asp
    > application that we thought about using xml to replace some session
    > variables. The idea would be to create an xml object that would store
    > all of our session variables, then store the xml object in a session
    > variable. Does this make sense to do this?

    If you want to use MSXML with classic ASP to do that (that is storing an
    XML document in a session variable) then I think you have to use
    Msxml2.FreeThreadedDOMDocument. I have never done that however, you
    might find more help on the microsoft news server in an ASP group or
    perhaps in the xml groups there.

    --

    Martin Honnen
    http://JavaScript.FAQTs.com/

    Martin Honnen, Jan 5, 2005

  3. scottc

    anonymous Guest

    scottc wrote:
    > All,
    >
    > I'm new to xml and have a question about how to use it. I have an asp
    > application that we thought about using xml to replace some session
    > variables. The idea would be to create an xml object that would store
    > all of our session variables, then store the xml object in a session
    > variable. Does this make sense to do this?
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Scott......

    I don't think so.

    anonymous, Jan 5, 2005
  4. scottc

    Andy Dingley Guest

    On Wed, 05 Jan 2005 16:20:14 +0100, Martin Honnen <>
    wrote:

    >scottc wrote:

    >> I'm new to xml and have a question about how to use it.

    This is really a question about _when_ to use it. It's hard to give a
    good answer, not knowing your application, but I'm dubious.

    >> The idea would be to create an xml object that would store
    >> all of our session variables, then store the xml object in a session
    >> variable.

    _Why_ is this data in XML ? Is it sensible or beneficial to work
    with this data as XML, ignoring the Session issues for the moment ?
    If you wouldn't chose to use XML otherwise, then it certainly doesn;t
    make sense to wrap it in XML, just so you can keep it in the Session
    object.

    If your application makes some snippet of XML and wants to keep it
    around, then that might make sense. But wrapping up perfectly good
    variables just as an extra layer of container is silly.

    >If you want to use MSXML with classic ASP to do that (that is storing an
    >XML document in a session variable) then I think you have to use
    >Msxml2.FreeThreadedDOMDocument.

    Yes, but this is easy. Look in the SDK help file that ships with the
    MSXML component for an example. It's filed under how to cache XSLT
    stylesheets (try "XSL Template Examples") because that's the usual
    reason you might need to do this sort of multi-thread juggling.

    --
    Smert' spamionam

    Andy Dingley, Jan 6, 2005