XML over HTTP

Jeroen De Brabander

Hi,

I have to write an interface that accepts "XML over HTTP"-messages. How is
this done in .NET?

The goal is to have an application (webservice, webapplication, ...) that
accepts XML over HTTP and that sends reponses the same way.

I'm used to webservices, but this seems to be different.

Can someone give me a hint?

Jeroen db

Jeroen De Brabander

Hi Rutger,

I'm probably being a real newbie, I'm a little confused ...

I am aware of the fact that webservices use XML over HTTP but in my
situation, the party I'm interfacing with wants a URL to which they can send
XML messages to. They will not be able to call webmethods and so on. They
just want a URL from me to which they make a xmlhttpRequest.

Is this making any sense?

Jeroen db

Bruce Barker

you will need more info. there are three approaches

1) a standard webserveice (SOAP)
2) xml post - standard http post - content-type: text/xml or
application/xml
3) xml urlencode in a form field - content-type:
application/x-www-form-urlencoded

-- bruce (sqlwork.com)

sp3d2orbit

Haven't tried it in C#, but I imagine this might work:

Posting:
http://yourdomain.com/yourpage.aspx?data=<xml_to_post/>
-of course this needs to be done as a post and not a query or it will
get truncated

In yourpage.aspx

void Page_Load()
{
string strPostedXml = (string) Request["data'];
}

I don't think it needs to be any harder than that.