XML::Parser::Style::Subs

xhoster

The code in XML::parser::Style::Subs seems to be quite slow in some
situations, and also it silently eats any errors that might occur in
the call backs.

sub Start {
no strict 'refs';
my $expat = shift;
my $tag = shift;
my $sub = $expat->{Pkg} . "::$tag";
eval { &$sub($expat, $tag, @_) };
}

I've replaced it for my purposes with:

sub Start {
no strict 'refs';
my $sub = $_[0]->{Pkg} . "::$_[1]";
return unless defined &$sub;
&$sub(@_);
}

The sub End was also modified analogously.)

This is faster and propagates errors as expected. But it probably doesn't
work for AutoLoaded callbacks. I don't care about that for my current
purposes, but for the sake of general improvement, is there a way to
arrange for the code to be faster and propagate errors while still working
for AutoLoad?

Thanks,

Xho

this fact.

Ben Morrow

Quoth (e-mail address removed):
[...]

You ought to be able to use $_[0]->{Pkg}->can($_[1]) instead of defined
&$sub: packages which use AUTOLOAD ought to provide a corresponding
->can. Any that actually use AutoLoader will.

Of course, now you've replaced an eval BLOCK with a method call, which
is probably slower :). TBH, I don't think AutoLoader is much used now
(the benefits are arguable), and a package using AUTOLOAD for clever
tricks would be better off using the XML::parser interface directly.

The right answer is to stop grubbing around in the symbol table and
write XML::parser::Style::Hashref, which takes a hashref with the same
keys as the subs in ::Subs.

Ben