XML-Schema to (SGML) DTD transcription

Discussion in 'XML' started by Martin Froehlich, Aug 6, 2004.

  1. Hello!

    I'm looking for a method or tool to transcribe a XML-Schema (more
    precisely the W3C XML-Schema Schema) to a classic DTD. That
    is, I have a xyz.xsd file and want to have a xyz.dtd file. Not the
    other way round.

    The effect should be that any file which is valid according to
    the XML-Schema is also valid according to the generated DTD.

    I'm aware of the fact that for instance namespaces and such
    constructs will introduce some complexity, but in the end
    XML-Schema contains more constraints than the DTD formalism,
    therefore -- from a theoretical point of view -- it should be
    feasible. But has it already be done?

    No search engine or FAQ-file I found on the net contained a
    usable pointer, preventing me to reinvent the wheel. But maybe
    the experts on this lists may have a hint.

    Any help appreciated!

    --
    Martin Froehlich
    System Development

    Martin Froehlich, Aug 6, 2004

  2. Martin Froehlich wrote:

    > Hello!
    >
    > I'm looking for a method or tool to transcribe a XML-Schema (more
    > precisely the W3C XML-Schema Schema) to a classic DTD. That
    > is, I have a xyz.xsd file and want to have a xyz.dtd file. Not the
    > other way round.

    Martin,

    I know that the (IBM product) WebSphere Studio Application Developer
    can do this. It costs $$$. Since it is based on Eclipse, there exists
    the slim possibility that Eclipse itself can do this, and Eclipse is
    freely downloadable.

    Regards,
    Kenneth

    Kenneth Stephen, Aug 7, 2004

  3. Martin Froehlich

    Peter Flynn Guest

    Martin Froehlich wrote:

    > Hello!
    >
    > I'm looking for a method or tool to transcribe a XML-Schema (more
    > precisely the W3C XML-Schema Schema) to a classic DTD. That
    > is, I have a xyz.xsd file and want to have a xyz.dtd file. Not the
    > other way round.

    Most of the big DTD/Schema design tools can do this, eg XML Spy.
    But you risk losing some constraints.

    > The effect should be that any file which is valid according to
    > the XML-Schema is also valid according to the generated DTD.

    Not possible to guarantee this.

    > I'm aware of the fact that for instance namespaces and such
    > constructs will introduce some complexity, but in the end
    > XML-Schema contains more constraints than the DTD formalism,
    > therefore -- from a theoretical point of view -- it should be
    > feasible. But has it already be done?

    No, the opposite is true: W3C Schema allows you to specify constraints
    which cannot be specified in a DTD, so converting a W3C Schema to a
    DTD means you may have to forego those constraints which cannot be
    represented in a DTD.

    ///Peter

    Peter Flynn, Aug 7, 2004