XMLDocument.Load Progess

Dave Brown

Hi All,

Is it possible to examine the progress of a XMLDocument.Load method ?
Sometimes my documents might be quite large so I want to give the user some
indication of the size and progress.

another question i have is re' datagrid i hope someone might be able to help
with, say i have the xml

<employee>
<name>dave</name>
<image>Image1.jpg</image>
<employee>

I have lots of images that i use that are available by a url so is it
possible to show the image in a column ? i have the name and i can build a
url to the image but i'm not sure how to tell the datagrid to custom format
a column :S

thx,

Dave

Ryan Walberg

Dave said:
Hi All,

Is it possible to examine the progress of a XMLDocument.Load method ?
Sometimes my documents might be quite large so I want to give the user some
indication of the size and progress.

another question i have is re' datagrid i hope someone might be able to help
with, say i have the xml

<employee>
<name>dave</name>
<image>Image1.jpg</image>
<employee>

I have lots of images that i use that are available by a url so is it
possible to show the image in a column ? i have the name and i can build a
url to the image but i'm not sure how to tell the datagrid to custom format
a column :S

It might be possible to call Load() asynchronously and examine the
XMLDocument object to see what's inside.

Felbrigg

Dont know about XML, but it may be like HTML tables, in that the whole thing
has to load before displaying. perhaps if you can break the XML into small
segments you'll see the data loading segment by segment, this worked for me
in HTML

Tommy

For question 1, it doesn't seem that the XMLDocument class exposes any
events during the Load process. I know that the XmlTextReader class
allows you to control the navigation of the XML file, so you can
monitor the status. However, it is a forward-only navigation, and it
does not provide an in memory copy of the xml file. If you only need
to access the XML file once, then the XmlTextReader might help, but if
you need to constantly access the xml file, then you might have to
stick with the XMLDocument class.

If you are able to monitor the status, how are you displaying the
status to the user on a webpage? Is the user constantly polling for
the status from the web server?

Tommy,