XMLHttpRequest stopped cold

one man army

Hi All-
after reading a bit more, and writing a few examples, I have begun a
project which really uses the Dynamic data loading. BUT when I tried the
code out, I get 'permission denied' in Mozilla, Firefox 1.04 and the
Safari I have on this machine.

Looking in the newsgroups, I see another post (at exactly this time of
year) which say matter of factly that I have to sign my script. SO I
look into the refs.

BUT, the cononical reference to the nifty tool is
http://developer.netscape.com/software/signedobj/jarpack.html

and that is down. netscape devedge seems to be in some sort of
transition. I do not know a damn thing about the security models, or
Java, but I am willing to do what is necessary to get my JAVASCRIPT code
working.

Pointers and knowledgable anecdotes Very Much Appreciated

ps- I did get the jibbering code to use conditionally IE or Moz versions
of XMLHttpRequest.

VK

one said:
I am willing to do what is necessary to get my JAVASCRIPT code
working.

Everything? Including paying money for that?
Then right here:
<http://www.mozilla.org/projects/security/components/signed-scripts.html>
and after that right there:
<http://www.thawte.com/ssl-digital-certificates/code-signing/index.html>
(get $199 ready on your card, plus all id's and credentials check will
take about one week).
Pointers and knowledgable anecdotes Very Much Appreciated

That would be useful to know (though not solving the problem):
<http://groups.google.com/group/comp...500b4c91788/f7c4e5ef1bafa81a#f7c4e5ef1bafa81a>

Also join to JSONet project to get the problem into your own hands -
out of greedy hands of certificate authorities and unresponsive hands
of browser producers:
<http://groups.google.com/group/comp...3925a345f31/bc987f7013afde92#bc987f7013afde92>

one man army

VK said:

If it takes $200 then that is not out of the question, but I need to
find the fastest and surest way to a working app. I am committed to
getting a demo out by Jan 7th.

Workaround?

hmmm.. or I can send the request as a traditional POST, get the XML back
and navigate to a new page. I saw it happen. I am new at this, so
gymnastics are particularly challenging.

More insights out there?

one man army

.. I have to sign my script ..

I do not want to get too hung up on this one XMLHttpRequest track.
Dynamic is great, but there are two other routes, I think... I need demo
sfwr!

--
ONE is that PHP can be called inline from Javascript. yes? PHP seems
to have no problem calling the URL with a POST to get the data, and

--
TWO is that standard submit behavior will call myself with a CGI tail
on it. I have written a CGI before. Perl can call the URL and cache the

this is new to me. As ususal, pointers and knowledgable anecdotes
welcome

one man army

one man army said:
[...]

It seems there is a pure Javascript way to do what I need here. I have
some pre-fetched data written as an object array on the page (thanks
faqts.com), and I use the window location.search to get the submitted
data onLoad().

anyway, still moving...