XPointer support

shaun

Can anyone clarify if these are true and perhaps add to the list of
XPointer supported parsers/transformers:

For parsers:
* Xerces will allow elements to be accessed if they have an xml:id
attribute
* xmllint allows elements to be accessed with full xpointer syntax,
e.g.
<xi:include href="authent.xml#xpointer(//connection[@name='cat'])"
parse="xml/>

For transformers:
* xalan doesnt have xpointer support
* xsltproc has full xpointer support
* saxon has limted support, allowing reference to an ID shortname
which is declared in a DTD as xs:id type.

I find variable support for the <xi:include href="..." parse="xml"
xpointer="..."/>

kind of syntax as well; surprisingly different from the <xi:include
href="...#xpointer(...)"/> support. Is the 'xpointer' attribute not
standard on an xi:include?

cheers

shaun