XSL count specific characters in string

Jerry

Hi -

Using XSL I need to count the number of times character appears in a
string. My guess is I need to recurse through the value of x, but I'm
having trouble getting my head around the solution. In the example
below I'd like to count the number of '-' in x and write the sum to y.

<x>10-10-10</x>
<x>10-10-100</x>
<x>10-100-10</x>
<x>10-10</x>
<x>10-10-10-100</x>

<y>2</y>
<y>2</y>
<y>2</y>
<y>1</y>
<y>3</y>

Thanks,

Jerry

Joris Gillis

Using XSL I need to count the number of times character appears in a
string. My guess is I need to recurse through the value of x, but I'm
having trouble getting my head around the solution. In the example
below I'd like to count the number of '-' in x and write the sum to y.

If the string to search for contains only one character, like in your example, you might use this:

<xsl:template match="x">
<y><xsl:value-of select="string-length(.)-string-length(translate(.,'-',''))"/></y>
</xsl:template>

regards,