XSL Recursive nested elements woe

Discussion in 'XML' started by GR33DY, Jun 24, 2004.

  1. GR33DY

    GR33DY Guest

    Hi every-one,

    I'm rather new to this, so I'll just jump in.

    I have an XML file that looks like this:

    _____________________________XML_________________________________

    <root>
    <nextlevel>
    <init>
    <element1>
    Content
    </element1>
    <element2>
    More content
    </element2>
    ...etc
    <message>
    <element1>
    Content
    </element1>
    <element2>
    More content
    </element2>
    ...etc
    <message>
    <element1>
    Content
    </element1>
    <element2>
    More content
    </element2>
    ...etc
    </message>
    </message>
    </init>
    </nextlevel>
    </root>

    The <message> nodes may well contain other <message> nodes which could
    contain other <message> nodes etc. etc. ad infinitum(well, almost!)

    My problem is that when it comes to the XSL, I want to nest these nodes
    and indent them and this is what I have so far:

    _____________________________XSL_________________________________
    <xsl:template match="/">
    <xsl:apply-templates/>
    </xsl:template>

    <xsl:template match="init">
    <xsl:value-of select="element1"/>
    <xsl:value-of select="element2"/><br />
    </xsl:template>

    <xsl:template name ="message" match="message">
    <xsl:value-of select="element1"/>
    <xsl:value-of select="element2"/>
    <xsl:for-each select="message[count(descendant::message)!='0']">
    <xsl:call-template name="message"/>
    </xsl:for-each>
    </xsl:template>

    However, this only nests up to and including the second <message> node
    and no further. Any help appreciated :)

    Tom.

    GR33DY, Jun 24, 2004