XSL : unwanted carriage returns/white space

StopBsod

Hello group,

I use XSLT to output a unix shell script based on the content of an XML
file :

The XSLT :

<xsl:stylesheet xmlns:xsl="http://www.w3.org/1999/XSL/Transform" version="1.0">
<xsl:eek:utput method="text"/>
<xsl:template name="haut" match="/rhythmdb">

#!/bin/bash
cd /pub/html/zicmu2/links

<xsl:for-each select="entry">
<xsl:sort select="location"/>
ln -s "<xsl:value-of select="substring-after(location,'file://')"/>"
<xsl:choose>
<xsl:when test="starts-with(location,'file:///pub/joe/misc')">
"<xsl:value-of select="substring(location, 22)"/>"
</xsl:when>
<xsl:eek:therwise>
"<xsl:value-of select="substring(location, 19)"/>"
</xsl:eek:therwise>
</xsl:choose>
</xsl:for-each>
</xsl:template>
</xsl:stylesheet>

After conversion (with xsltproc/libxml)

#!/bin/bash
cd /pub/html/zicmu2/links

ln -s "data1"

"to_data1"

ln -s "data2"

"to data2"

So I have many unwanted carriage returns/whitspaces. (it follows the
indentation of my .XSL...)

I googled around and saw <xsl:text> ?

Didn't work 'cause my XML file has unsupported char.

Help Welcomed.

Thks.

Arto V. Viitanen

StopBsod> After conversion (with xsltproc/libxml)

StopBsod> #!/bin/bash cd /pub/html/zicmu2/links

StopBsod> ln -s "data1"

StopBsod> "to_data1"

StopBsod> ln -s "data2"

StopBsod> "to data2"

I suggest you use concat() function. With it (and an explict $newline
variable) you can create the lines as you like.

Patrick TJ McPhee

[...]

% So I have many unwanted carriage returns/whitspaces. (it follows the
% indentation of my .XSL...)

% I googled around and saw <xsl:text> ?

This is what you want to use. If you have non-whitespace text in a template,
then all the text in the template, including all the white space, gets
copied to the result tree. If you wrap all your non-whitespace text in
xsl:text elements, then only the text in the xsl:text elements, along with
text generated by other xsl elements, will be copied.

% Didn't work 'cause my XML file has unsupported char.

I expect you put one of your value-ofs inside a text element. This works
the way you want it to:

<xsl:stylesheet xmlns:xsl="http://www.w3.org/1999/XSL/Transform" version="1.0">
<xsl:eek:utput method="text"/>
<xsl:template name="haut" match="/rhythmdb">

<xsl:text>#!/bin/bash
cd /pub/html/zicmu2/links
</xsl:text>
<xsl:for-each select="entry">
<xsl:sort select="location"/>
<xsl:text>ln -s "</xsl:text>
<xsl:value-of select="substring-after(location,'file://')"/>
<xsl:text>" "</xsl:text>
<xsl:choose>
<xsl:when test="starts-with(location,'file:///pub/joe/misc')">
<xsl:value-of select="substring(location, 22)"/>
</xsl:when>
<xsl:eek:therwise>
<xsl:value-of select="substring(location, 19)"/>
</xsl:eek:therwise>
</xsl:choose>
<xsl:text>"
</xsl:text>
</xsl:for-each>
</xsl:template>
</xsl:stylesheet>

StopBsod

Le Tue, 27 Jan 2004 17:23:38 +0100, Patrick TJ McPhee a écrit :
[...]

[...]

Thanks !

Works just perfectly. I'll study the code now ;-)

M.