XSLT chains - to pull or to push?

Barney Barumba

Hi,

From reading the Xalan doco, there are two sugegsted methods for
routing the output from one transformation into the input of a second:
the 'push' method using TransformerHandlers and the 'pull' method
using XMLFilters.

Is there any info anywhere regarding the relative performance of these
two approaches, and when one would be more applicable than the other?
The only practical difference I can see from a coding point of view is
that the TransformerHandler allow access to the underlying
Transformer, which in turn allows you to pass parameters to the
transformation - something I cannot see how to do with the XMLFilter
method.

Regards,

Barney