XSLT exclude-result-prefixes not preventing namespace declaration in output

Cameron McCormack

Hi everyone.

I'm having trouble working out why exclude-result-prefixes isn't
preventing a namespace declaration in my output document.

This is my input document:

ns/local'>
<head>
<title>blah</title>
</head>
<x:something/>

And this is the XSLT I'm using:

<xsl:stylesheet xmlns:xsl='http://www.w3.org/1999/XSL/Transform'
xmlns:h='http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml'
xmlns:x='http://mcc.id.au/ns/local'
xmlns='http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml'
exclude-result-prefixes='h x'
version='1.0'>

<xsl:eek:utput method='xml' encoding='UTF-8'
doctype-public='-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Strict//EN'
doctype-system='http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-
strict.dtd'
media-type='application/xhtml+xml; charset=UTF-8'/>

<xsl:template match='/'>
<xsl:apply-templates select='/*'/>
</xsl:template>

<xsl:template match='h:*'>
<xsl:copy>
<xsl:copy-of select='@*'/>
<xsl:apply-templates select='node()'/>
</xsl:copy>
</xsl:template>
</xsl:stylesheet>

When I run xsltproc to transform the input document, I get this
output:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Strict//EN" "http://
www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-strict.dtd">
ns/local">
<head><meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html;
charset=UTF-8" />
<title>blah</title>
</head>

Could someone explain why the xmlns:x attribute is still in there, and
how I can prevent it?

Thanks,

Cameron

Cameron McCormack

Cameron McCormack:
I'm having trouble working out why exclude-result-prefixes isn't
preventing a namespace declaration in my output document.

And please excuse Google Groups sticking in unwanted line breaks.

Martin Honnen

Cameron said:
I'm having trouble working out why exclude-result-prefixes isn't
preventing a namespace declaration in my output document.

This is my input document:

ns/local'>

<xsl:template match='h:*'>
<xsl:copy>

xsl:copy copies the element including any namespace nodes that are in
scope. And for your elements the default namespace is in scope but the
other namespace is in scope too. exclude-result-prefixes only helps to
prevent namespace declarations used in the stylesheet, not those copied
from the input XML.
So to get rid of the xmlns:x use
<xsl:template match="h:*">
<xsl:element name="{name()}" namespace="{namespace-uri()}">
that way the element is copied but not any additional namespace nodes
that are in scope.

Cameron McCormack

Martin Honnen:
xsl:copy copies the element including any namespace nodes that are in
scope. And for your elements the default namespace is in scope but the
other namespace is in scope too. exclude-result-prefixes only helps to
prevent namespace declarations used in the stylesheet, not those copied
from the input XML.
So to get rid of the xmlns:x use
<xsl:template match="h:*">
<xsl:element name="{name()}" namespace="{namespace-uri()}">
that way the element is copied but not any additional namespace nodes
that are in scope.

Ah, great, that did the trick. Thanks!