xslt queries in xml to SQL queries

Ian Roddis

Hello

I want to embed SQL type queries within an XML data record. The XM
looks something like this
<DISPLAYPAGE
<FIELD NAME="SERVER" TYPE="DROPDOWN"
<OPTION>1<OPTION
<OPTION>2<OPTION
<OPTION>3<OPTION
</FIELD
</DISPLAYPAGE

I want to populate the drop down options from a database. The tabl
looks like this (example)
CREATE TABLE options_table
id int primary key
name varchar(255)
field varchar(255

I read an article that would allow me to embed an SQL query using XSL
like this (in place of <OPTIONS>)
<xslt:template match="options_table[field='SERVER']"
<OPTION><xslt:value-of select="name/text()"/></OPTION
</xslt:template

Which would be equivalent of

SELECT name FROM options_table WHERE field='SERVER'

Does anyone else have experience of describing SQL queries in XML o
parsing XSLT in python

Crutcher

Skipping ahead, let me try to rephrase this.

First, this isn't really a python question, it is SQL, XSLT, and
program design, but I'll try to answer.

You have templates, they contain general layout stuff, and input
fields. You are transforming them into HTML pages, and part of what you
want to do is to expand the enumerated fields with the enumeration
values at the time of template application.

You read an article about XSLT, and decided that you could use it in
your app. For some unknown reason, perhaps involving large amounts of
alcohol, you want to use the syntax of XSLT, but have it actually
parsed by python, which silently does an SQL querry to give you your
results.

This is a really, really bad idea. There are many ways to solve your
problem using XSLT, and though all of them are easy, none of them are
so simple that I could put them in a post to someone who doesn't know
XSLT. If you know XSLT, follow the directions below, if you don't, DO
NOT USE XSLT for this project. And for the love of anything you may
believe in, don't try to implement a partial XSLT engine in python.

Pattern 1, paramaterized templates:

Pattern 1 assumes that all the data you will need for your templates is
known in advance, and is common to your templates. If this is true, you
need only generate an XML fragment with the data you need, and compose
a document which contains both the data you need, and the page template
you are rendering. Then, write an XSLT transform to build your pages,
which can now resolve data needs in the template section using the data
provided in the data section.

Pattern 2, query extraction:

When you don't know what data the page template might need, and the
full dataset is unmanageably large, you can't use pattern 1 easily. So
instead, write an XSLT transform which _only_ extracts information
about the data you need. You can then run this transform, get the query
list, perform the queries, and use the resultant data for the data tree
from pattern 1.

Paul Boddie

Crutcher said:
Skipping ahead, let me try to rephrase this.

First, this isn't really a python question, it is SQL, XSLT, and
program design, but I'll try to answer.

Well, first of all, it's about mapping XPath onto a relational data
model. This is clear from the original posting:

<xslt:template match="options_table[field='SERVER']">
<OPTION><xslt:value-of select="name/text()"/></OPTION>
</xslt:template>

Here, it makes sense to consider instances of options_table elements as
rows in the options_table table, just as described. Perhaps, if field
and name are columns in options_table, I would rather model them using
attributes:

<xslt:template match="options_table[@field='SERVER']">
<OPTION><xslt:value-of select="@name"/></OPTION>
</xslt:template>

Is this possible or wise to do? Well, I did myself write an
XPath-to-SQL query engine, together with a simple "document relational"
mapper in order to be able to execute XPath expressions similar to
those above. However, I don't believe that my code really delivered on
the concept because...

* Generating efficient sets of queries can be tricky: a simple
descent into what appears to be an XML document needs
to involve a lot of joins to enforce the virtual "element
hierarchy".

* One has to decide whether to enforce a schema or not: if you don't
this means that XPath axes like "child" can behave like
"descendant-or-self". If you do, generating "descendant-or-self"
queries becomes very difficult (as far as I can tell and remember).

* The XPath specification states that nodes are returned in document
order - this is difficult to enforce unless you litter your tables
with additional information (again as far as I remember).

* Generating simple DOM structures for simple SQL queries is
straightforward, but generating them for arbitrarily complicated
XPath queries mapped to SQL is quite difficult. If you permit axes
like "ancestor-or-self" and "parent", or have any query that
returns a node over and over again, it's best to instantiate that
node only once in order to keep the number of instantiated
objects low and to more easily test relationships between nodes.
It's all awkward if not particularly difficult.
You have templates, they contain general layout stuff, and input
fields. You are transforming them into HTML pages, and part of what you
want to do is to expand the enumerated fields with the enumeration
values at the time of template application.

You read an article about XSLT, and decided that you could use it in
your app. For some unknown reason, perhaps involving large amounts of
alcohol, you want to use the syntax of XSLT, but have it actually
parsed by python, which silently does an SQL querry to give you your
results.

I don't know what it is with comp.lang.python/python-list these days
and the cheap put-downs. Unless you know the person you're responding
to personally, and thus the above counts as some kind of banter, you
would do better to keep the insults to yourself.
This is a really, really bad idea. There are many ways to solve your
problem using XSLT, and though all of them are easy, none of them are
so simple that I could put them in a post to someone who doesn't know
XSLT. If you know XSLT, follow the directions below, if you don't, DO
NOT USE XSLT for this project. And for the love of anything you may
believe in, don't try to implement a partial XSLT engine in python.

Why not? 4XSLT is in Python, or at least large parts of it were.
Moreover, my XPath query experiments used a variant of PyXML's XPath
library which could quite probably have been integrated with 4XSLT,
although I didn't try it at the time.

[Patterns]

Anyway, I'm not suggesting that the XPath-to-SQL route is the right
way. The various patterns you suggest are easier to comprehend and
require a lot less magic, even if there's a bit more integration to be
done to prepare data for use by the templates. But given the existence
of XML database systems, I don't think the idea of accessing them (or
things pretending to be like them) via XML technologies is outrageous
at all.

Paul

Crutcher

I don't know what it is with comp.lang.python/python-list these days
and the cheap put-downs. Unless you know the person you're responding
to personally, and thus the above counts as some kind of banter, you
would do better to keep the insults to yourself.

You are completely right, I was overly familiar.

Let me restate my central thesis.

1) It is possible to do what he is asking to do.
2) It requires expert knowledge of XSLT to do it well, and then it
would still require a bit of work.
3) There are simpler ways to do it, both using and not using xslt, than
this.

You could also do something like this:

<options ...>
<sql-hack query="select name from servers">
<option><sql-value value="name"></option>
</sql-hack>
</options>

and then do an XPath search for sql-hack nodes, and process them with
your python.

If you are happy staying on the python ranch, you could even do this:

<options ...>
<python><![CDATA[
rows = sql('select names from servers')
for row in rows:
xml('<option>%s</option>' % row[0])
]]>
</python>
</options>

With this, you find the python sections, and exec them in a context
with sql defined to do queries against your db and xml defined to parse
the xml you give it, and emit it in place of the python element.

But given the existence of XML database systems,
I don't think the idea of accessing them (or things pretending to be like them)
via XML technologies is outrageous at all.

No, not outrageous. But this wasn't about quering XML database systems.
This was about implementing something which looked like, but did not
act like, XSLT. It's just bad design.