Yeeeeeeeeeeeeees!

verity

oldwetdog said:
Done deal :)

(I make an assumption that Lady Grey is Tea?)

Gosh, I really must check my posts, for poss. alternative meanings.
Yes, tea. Could have been worse, could have been 'Earl Grey' :)

oldwetdog

verity said:
Gosh, I really must check my posts, for poss. alternative meanings.
Yes, tea. Could have been worse, could have been 'Earl Grey' :)

Earl Grey is a nice tea...
Earl for me, Lady Grey for you.
I'll take the cheese danish, you have the scone.
enjoy your Sunday...
:)

verity

oldwetdog said:
Earl Grey is a nice tea...
Earl for me, Lady Grey for you.
I'll take the cheese danish, you have the scone.
enjoy your Sunday...
:)

Will do, if I can tear myself from this html, when you start geting it
right, it's soooo addictive :)

Neredbojias

I didn't actually want to go out with him (or anyone). People who
haven't been manipulated don't understand the power of a Svengali
character.
Naivette people like I was, see the best in everyone & don't really
understand the World.

I've met people like that, -users with malice aforethought. I think others
sort of develop into it through laziness, self-centeredness, and greed.
Some can make you believe the world could and should be one big, extended
Paradise and they can make it that way. And, of course, they're fun.
Stone walls do not a prison make, not iron bars a cage.

Really? How do they make the prisons and cages where you come from?
But I'm OK, I bounce & land on my feet whatever, because I always
think of people less fortunate & there certainly are enough of them in
this world.

When I think of people less-fortunate than me, I get depressed unless I'm
ironing.

verity

Neredbojias said:
I've met people like that, -users with malice aforethought. I think others
sort of develop into it through laziness, self-centeredness, and greed.

I still feel a little guilt, in letting him get away with so much
abuse, forgiveness only made it easier for him to degenerate still
further.
Some can make you believe the world could and should be one big, extended
Paradise and they can make it that way. And, of course, they're fun.

Not met one of them, does sound fun.
Really? How do they make the prisons and cages where you come from?

We have so many criminals now, we've stopped building; now that's a
whole 'crime, punishment & immigration' thread.
When I think of people less-fortunate than me, I get depressed

Makes me determined to do something more than throw the occassional
'crust' from my table.
unless I'm ironing.

LOL

Neredbojias

We have so many criminals now, we've stopped building; now that's a
whole 'crime, punishment & immigration' thread.

Hehe, yeah. Where I live they have what is called "Tent City". The lite
hoodlums get to live like bygone native Americans.
Makes me determined to do something more than throw the occassional
'crust' from my table.

Hmm, crust throwing... Sounds like a Gaelic sport.

verity

Neredbojias said:
Hehe, yeah. Where I live they have what is called "Tent City". The lite
hoodlums get to live like bygone native Americans.

I was told that some of the Tribes had a wonderfully fair social
structure & when someone broke the rules they were usually punished by
being sent off from the village, the next morning, & told not to come
back!
And I bet some tribes had totally different ideas!
Hmm, crust throwing... Sounds like a Gaelic sport.

For those who can't manage the caber maybe.

Neredbojias

I was told that some of the Tribes had a wonderfully fair social
structure & when someone broke the rules they were usually punished by
being sent off from the village, the next morning, & told not to come
back!

Reminiscent of the European custom of "banishment". 'Course, they rarely
banished the peons; too much trouble.
And I bet some tribes had totally different ideas!

Sure. Some were malicious savages, undoubtedly. A few, though, might have
been more civilized than anything since seen.
For those who can't manage the caber maybe.

I wonder if they offer a course in caber management at university?

verity

Neredbojias said:
Sure. Some were malicious savages, undoubtedly. A few, though, might have
been more civilized than anything since seen.

That's what I was told but I suspect a bit romanticised; 'Calamity
Jane' was a real woman but not much like Doris Day's version.
I wonder if they offer a course in caber management at university?

Probably, sort of how to get the caber to want to be thrown.

Neredbojias

That's what I was told but I suspect a bit romanticised; 'Calamity
Jane' was a real woman but not much like Doris Day's version.

I saw a picture of the real CJ once. Hard to imagine her going around and
singing "Secret Love."
Probably, sort of how to get the caber to want to be thrown.

Aw, what kind of sport would there be in persuading a masochistically-
oriented caper?

dorayme

I hope this is not some sort of attack on Doris Day, a great
favourite of mine? Listen to that voice in Teacher's Pet, I just
wanna be ... Teacher's Pet...

verity

Neredbojias said:
I saw a picture of the real CJ once. Hard to imagine her going around and
singing "Secret Love."

Aw, what kind of sport would there be in persuading a masochistically-
oriented caper?

LOL, most Western films are about anything but the actual history.
I'd love to see a film based on the book "Watch for me on the mountain"
by Forrest Carter.
About Geronimo.

Neredbojias

LOL, most Western films are about anything but the actual history.
I'd love to see a film based on the book "Watch for me on the
mountain" by Forrest Carter.
About Geronimo.

Years ago Burt Lancaster did a film based somewhat on the real Geronimo
called "Apache". It wasn't quite historically accurate but did
realistically portray the general plight of the Native American in the
process of being conquered. I suspect Geronimo was actually a kind of
juvenile-deliquent-cum-rebel with an arguable amount of justification for
his indefensibly brutal tactics. Blatant savagery isn't noble even if it
seems like the only option.

verity

Neredbojias said:
Years ago Burt Lancaster did a film based somewhat on the real Geronimo
called "Apache". It wasn't quite historically accurate but did
realistically portray the general plight of the Native American in the
process of being conquered. I suspect Geronimo was actually a kind of
juvenile-deliquent-cum-rebel with an arguable amount of justification for
his indefensibly brutal tactics. Blatant savagery isn't noble even if it
seems like the only option.

Yes, saw Burt Lancaster film decades ago.
I think I would have done what he did, if I'd come home from a hunting
trip to find my wife, children & entire village, dead & mutilated.
Don't see him as a delinquent, wasn't that the cavalry.

Neredbojias

Yes, saw Burt Lancaster film decades ago.
I think I would have done what he did, if I'd come home from a hunting
trip to find my wife, children & entire village, dead & mutilated.
Don't see him as a delinquent, wasn't that the cavalry.

I don't recall all the specific events in the plot, but 2 wrongs don't make
a right. Furthermore, nothing could bring them back so anything you do is
just for your own gratification. Revenge should be, uh, "deeper" than
that. OTOH, perhaps I am too sophisticated in my outlook, but that doesn't
mean I lack a temper. The trouble is temper never resolves anything. An
adequate resolution requires valid reasoning and an understanding of what
is and is not possible. Great leaders and warlords have ultimately lost
because they failed to realize they could not ride the scirocco of fortune
forever. Those who prevail do so by clever logic and calculated
persistence, not by simple emotional whim.

verity

Neredbojias said:
I don't recall all the specific events in the plot, but 2 wrongs don't make
a right. Furthermore, nothing could bring them back so anything you do is
just for your own gratification. Revenge should be, uh, "deeper" than
that. OTOH, perhaps I am too sophisticated in my outlook, but that doesn't
mean I lack a temper. The trouble is temper never resolves anything. An
adequate resolution requires valid reasoning and an understanding of what
is and is not possible. Great leaders and warlords have ultimately lost
because they failed to realize they could not ride the scirocco of fortune
forever. Those who prevail do so by clever logic and calculated
persistence, not by simple emotional whim.

I totally agree with you that one's own anger is the first enemy to
overcome.
However my point was that he did not commit any 'atrocities' until
after the defenceless ones in his society were cowardly attacked and
mutilated.
He was fighting against people who appeared to have no soul; they were
"non-humans" in a very real way to him & his followers.

Neredbojias

I totally agree with you that one's own anger is the first enemy to
overcome.
However my point was that he did not commit any 'atrocities' until
after the defenceless ones in his society were cowardly attacked and
mutilated.
He was fighting against people who appeared to have no soul; they were
"non-humans" in a very real way to him & his followers.

....As were the "red skins" to some of the "white eyes": barbarbic, non-
human animals incapable of higher feeling and thought. Of course both
attitudes as applied to race are total hogwash, but it is interesting that
one can find individuals to which these labels are probably not too
inaccurately applied. My point is that Geronimo likely was such an
individual no matter what the reason. A leader such as Cochise, however,
could possibly have been the antithesis of this.